Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

HELP! Notebook Computer TV tuner.

by bryangeer / March 12, 2007 10:42 PM PDT

I have encountered a small problem that I am hoping someone can shed some light on. Usually, I'm very good with this sort of thing, but sometimes i get stumped by the smallest easiest things.

Here goes:
I recently purchased an Alienware m9700 notebook computer that is pretty much fully loaded. I opted for the Windows media version of XP along with a built in TV tuner. Though I am very familiar with computers, I have had the same old Zenith television since about the time remote controls were invented. Therefore, I have little experience with home theater/television and setting them up.

So I noticed on the back of my new notebook is an input for Coaxial. I origionally assumed it was the same type of analog input as my old television so I bought a decent splitter and some extra cable. The problem is, the input hole size on my laptop is different from on my old television. Hence I have the following questions:

1) I am assuming my Tv tuner in my laptop is digital and the one on my TV is analog, is this correct?

2) If im right about that, what exactly do I need to do to to successfully get my PC hooked up tp cable?

3) I understand the difference between basic digital and analog components, but they cant be used interchangeably in this case can they? I can't just hook a digital coax up to the existing analog splitter can I? Will I need some sort of analog to digital converter?

The main thing I cant figure out is what type of TV tuner is installed in my laptop. I emailed Alienware tech support, but they take forever to reply. When I try hooking a regular old analog cable to my PC I get television on it, but the input hole on the back of my PC wont allow the coaxial cable to go in because the hole is too small. The connection looks very similar to a regular old coaxial input.

Like I said, this one seems like it should have an extremely easy solution, just due to my lack of exposure, I have no clue what to do.

Basically, What do I need to do to get this new laptop hooked up to the incoming coaxial cable after the splitter? Could it possibly be that I just need a really skinny analog coaxial cable to fit in the smaller input hole?

here is the best pic I can find of it:

Any help would be great I feel so stupid on this one,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! Notebook Computer TV tuner.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! Notebook Computer TV tuner.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: TV connection
by Kees Bakker / March 13, 2007 8:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: TV connection
by bryangeer / March 13, 2007 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: TV connection

Alienware finally got back to me. I was aware of different coaxial cable sizes, I have a range of them from small to large. Turns out it was an adapter that should have come with the tuner. Alienware is sending it free of charge. Thanks for the info anyway though.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?