Resolved Question

HELP - No WLAN service in Deep Creek Lake MD

Well, not exactly none, but there's only one tower for 30,000 weekend users, so that you request a page or e-mail, set your phone down and come back 3 hours later when the page has finished downloading. Voice is fine, though. Any Apps/Solutions for tethered voice modem 33/59K is WAY better than .1K. HTC EVO.

All the tethering solutions I've seen want to use mobile internet network, which doesn't solve my problem...

Discussion is locked
tmortgan has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: HELP - No WLAN service in Deep Creek Lake MD
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HELP - No WLAN service in Deep Creek Lake MD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Re: voice modem

Two basic requirements:
- how to connect a voice modem to your EVO
- does the EVO have a driver for it

Or to you want to use the voice modem connected to your PC/laptop to connect to Internet so the PC is tethering for the mails you want to receive in your EVO?

Kees

- Collapse -
Voice Modem

Kees -

Either, really. The limitations of the input/output on the EVO (small screen, slower processor, virtual keyboard) would make the usb connection preferable, but any solution would be useful.

Thanks

- Collapse -
Answer
I own a HTC Evo 4G

And while I could laugh about never seeing 4G work on this in 2 years, I will share I use Easytether when I'm out on the road.

The neat part about Easytether is you can do a lot with the free version. I tried it and later bought it since it worked nicely.
Bob

- Collapse -
I own a HTC Evo 4G - New!

Easytether is a 3G WLAN Sharing tool, which is great when you have readily available broadband. Like I said, where I am there are so many people hitting the same tower, the download speed is virtually non-existent and will even time out after 3-10 minutes of stall.

I am looking for a DUN application that does not share the phones internet connection but will allow me to dial up in areas where there is cell service, but no 3g/4g signal.

- Collapse -
Why do you think that?

It works if you have 4G, 3G and that other data protocol.

If you want DUN then look at Kees reply. Be aware it should land you back to about 9,600 BAUD. But you seem OK with that.
Bob

CNET Forums