Computer Help forum

General discussion

Help - NIC Card in HP Pavillion zv5320US

by sharptooth / September 11, 2006 12:18 PM PDT

I recently reformatted and thought I had everything in working order. But recent I've noticed that the NIC card isn't working now. I am still able to get on via wireless. I've tried reinstalling the driver it is this one specificially, which I got from some one at HP Chat Support:

Realtek RTL8101L NIC Driver for Win2K/XP
VERSION: 1.00 Rev. B

When installing and restarting didn't work I went back to the HP Chat support.

He had me ping 127.0.0.1 and that seemed to have gone though but when I did a ipconfig /all (which is something he did not suggest) and the NIC card did not show up.

I thought I would get some more input before I go to the chat or phone support again. Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help - NIC Card in HP Pavillion zv5320US
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help - NIC Card in HP Pavillion zv5320US
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you trying to install Windows XP Pro from a retail CD?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 12:25 PM PDT

I see this as a common stumbling area. Drivers can be difficult to find plus many forget chipset drivers. The network card may not work until the mainboard chipset driver is installed.

Other areas?

1. Is it enabled in the bios?
2. What restore CDs are you using?
Hint: The onboard card works fine on such machines if I use the restore CD. Some won't use that and want a clean XP Pro install. For those I leave them to stew for a few weeks till they install XP Pro over the HP installed OS.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Are you trying to install Windows XP Pro from a retail C
by sharptooth / September 11, 2006 12:43 PM PDT

I restored factory defaults in BIOS would that enable it?

I didn't get any restore cd's with my laptop so I was just using a XP Pro cd. Is there somewhere I can find the chipset drivers?

Collapse -
That explains it
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 12:57 PM PDT

The Microsoft CD will not have all the drivers. Notebook makers have been very lax in putting the drivers in easy reach.

The last time I did this I paid 35 bucks for the restore CD and it saved me a few hours of driver hunting. Some won't pay that much but for me I charge by the hour so it costs more for me to hunt for drivers than to pay for the restore CDs.

HP.COM has the drivers and if not, then you get to call about it.

You've found the issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by sharptooth / September 11, 2006 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: That explains it

I will look and see if I can get the driver if not. I will resort to the Restore cd.

Thank you so much for your help.

Collapse -
Regarding BIOS
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 12:59 PM PDT

Given the wide spectrum of what defaults I've seen I can't be sure such will enable such. I'd look.

Bob

Collapse -
NIC Card
by kwkid / September 11, 2006 12:25 PM PDT

Have you gone to Device Manager to see what it shows?

Collapse -
Re: NIC Card
by sharptooth / September 11, 2006 12:45 PM PDT
In reply to: NIC Card

Yes I did. The only thing that shows up for Networking is the Broadcom WLAN driver

Collapse -
Missing NIC Card
by kwkid / September 11, 2006 1:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: NIC Card

Based on Bob's thread above, I will defer to his explanation as this seems to be the most plausable based on the information available. I've heard that HP support is somewhat better than others, so maybe you will get lucky and get the restore CD. Good Luck and please let us know how it turned out.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?