Desktops forum

Question

HELP! Newly built Desktop keeps restarting at random times

Alright, so I'm pretty Tech Saavy and my main desktop was getting a bit old, and finally the motherboard did itself in. I've rebuilt/custom build quite a few PC's in the last few years, so I ordered some new parts, including a new motherboard, RAM, processor, Hard Drive & Power Supply. I put it all together, and it booted up perfectly! I had gotten the Hard Drive before the old motherboard died, so the Windows 7/Windows 8.1 Installations were already there. Upon boot up, both Windows 7 & 8.1 installed the new drivers and we were off! Within a couple hours on Windows 7, the screen went instantly back to BIOS without any warning and did a full reboot. When I logged back into Windows it said that it was a Blue Screen error. I then booted intow Windows 8 and it did the same thing after a couple hours. Since then, sometimes it happens within about 30 seconds, and sometimes upwards of four hours it will reboot. My first thought was that I needed to re-install Windows because of the massive amounts of new hardware, but after a Fresh Windows 7 Ultimate Installation it is doing the same thing. I also disabled the settings so the computer won't reboot after errors, but it is still restarting. I then thought that maybe heat was an issue. The processor never ran hotter that 32.8 degrees celsius, and an average temp of 16-20 degrees. The video card was the only thing I found to be running hotter and it was running at 52-54 degrees. The last time it ran for almost five hours and then restarted, and then restarted again after less than an hour. Does anyone have any ideas? Original Tower Specs and New Specs below:

Stock Configuration:

HP Pavilion m8100n Media Center PC
3GB DDR2-667 RAM (2x 1GB, 2x 512, 8GB Max)
500GB SATA 2.0 HDD
AMD Athlon 64x2 5600+ @2.8GHz
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit
Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 TV Tuner
16x DVD-R/RW Drive w/ Lightscribe
On-Board nVidia GeForce 6150SE 128MB Shared Graphics

Current Configuration

HP Pavilion m8100n Media Center PC
8GB DDR3-1600 RAM (1x8GB, 32GB Max)
Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3, AMD 760G, Rev. 5.0 Motherboard
1.5 TB Segate 7200RPM SATA 3.0 HDD
AMD FX-6300 Hex-Core Processor @3.5Ghz, No Overclocking, AM3+
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit/Windows 8.1 Pro w/ Media Center 64-Bit Dual-Boot
Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 TV Tuner
16x DVD-R/RW Drive w/ Lightscribe
nVidia GeForce 9500GT 1GB DDR2 PCE-e Video Card
PCI-E 4-Port USB 3.0 Add-in Card

Thanks for all your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! Newly built Desktop keeps restarting at random times
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! Newly built Desktop keeps restarting at random times
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Could still be a heat problem

In reply to: HELP! Newly built Desktop keeps restarting at random times

How did the thermal paste look on the new processor? What PSU do yuu have? Did you go to the mfgrs. sites to get the proper drivers, I don't let MS do that.

Digger

Collapse -
Good to know...

In reply to: Could still be a heat problem

It's a new 500W Hercules Power Supply, but the 12V processor connector was only a 4-Pin and I needed an 8-Pin. I ordered a converter cable, but I'm wondering if ordering a power supply that is fully compatible might be worth it. I put all brand new thermal paste on the processor, and put a liquid-cooled Gigabyte Heat Sink with 8cm High-Output fan. All of the Motherboard Drivers have been downloaded form the Gigabyte Website, and the add-on card is an NEC with the NEC drivers installed as well. I also downloaded the drivers for the TV Tuner straight from Hauppauge. I'm going to pull the aftermarket video card out and run off of the on-board video to see if that makes a difference too. If that works then I'll know either the video card is bad, or it's not being cooled enough.

Collapse -
looking a little closer

In reply to: Good to know...

Collapse -
Sounds Good

In reply to: looking a little closer

I'm gonna rip the GPU out of there and run it and see if the problem persists. Then I'll know if the GPU is overheating or as you say if I'm asking too much from the PSU. I'll let you know in a few hours how it goes! Thanks for all the tips!

Collapse -
Do you have a link to the Hercules Power Supply ?

In reply to: Good to know...

The link below shows a 500W Power Supply by that name and it only has 22A (264 W) the 12V rail. There was another 600W Hercules PSU and it only had 20A (200 W) on the 12V rail.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hercules-500W-Silent-ATX-Power-Supply-w-20-24pin-SATA-Serial-ATA-NEW-/110804625111

The unit below is rated as a 500W PSU and it has 40A (480W) on the 12V rail.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438012

Bottomline....all PSUs are not equal and your Hercules PSU may be the problem.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.