Desktops forum

General discussion

Help Newb with Computer Questions!!!

by spartikus / March 1, 2008 1:52 PM PST

Hey you guys sorry for the extremely noob questions but here goes. So I bought a new computer from an online company and have some questions about it. My only computers in the past have been companies like HP and Dell. Well I built a gaming type computer my questions are this. In the past the most video memory I had was like 64 mb at max, most of the time I had a integrated video card. Well this computer has 2 nvidia 8600 GT 1 GB cards running SLI. I don't see much of a difference when I look at web pages extra? Wouldn't it make a differnce having so much video memory that I should see some difference to the past computers I had. I even played some games like Empire Earth etc and can't see much difference at all in the graphics. The other question I have is when I turn the resolution of the screen to the max which is somewhere around 1900 x 1200 for me everything just looks really small there is no increase in colors or anything just that all lettering and icons become extremely small is this what is supposed to happen? Okay lastly here is my build of my new computer can you guys critique it and tell me what you think thank you sorry for such a long post.

Case: Thermaltake Armor Jr
Power Supply ( 600 Watt -- Power Supply SLI Ready )
Processor ( AMD Athlon?64 X2 6400+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology )
Processor Cooling ( [=== Silent ===] Extreme-Performance AMD CPU Cooling Fan System Kit Silent & Overclocking Proof = Maximum cooling efficiency for quietness and performance )
Motherboard ( Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe nForce 570-SLI MCP Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Dual Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 Dual PCI-E MB )
Memory ( 2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand )
Video Card ( [New !!!] 2x NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 1GB w/DVI + TV Out Video )

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help Newb with Computer Questions!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help Newb with Computer Questions!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Graphics cards
by welrdelr / March 2, 2008 3:14 AM PST

Today, systems can have the card directly render graphics at a higher/ faster rate than the CPU could.
Don't go any more than one setting above what makes you comfortable. If the setting is 1024x768, go for 1280x960, 1200x800, or 1400x1050.

Yes, the icons get smaller because they are limited by pixel amount and not area. The color scheme is based on the theme you are using.

Sounds okay for what you are doing. Whatever system you install on it, be sure to run it barebones so that you can have more memory for the game- means firewall. ISP connection, and basic system services.

Collapse -
it's working properly
by ramarc / March 4, 2008 6:31 AM PST

fast video cards only improve performance in 3D intensive games (which empire earth 1 & 2 aren't). it won't change web pages, office apps, etc. at all.

if you're running vista you can make text larger by adjusting the screen dpi. refer to this link: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2106649,00.asp

you've got an OK build... but you won't see much difference between it and a run-of-the-mill pc unless you start playing more graphically intense games like unreal tournament 3, prey, call of duty 2 or 4, oblivion, etc.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?