Linux forum

General discussion

Help! new mandrake user 9.1

by skippyd333 / September 26, 2004 1:55 PM PDT

how do I install drivers. Like my sound. I have c-media and the drivers on disk are for windows only. I have downloaded flash media player 7, but don't know how to install anything. Please Help! Skip

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! new mandrake user 9.1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! new mandrake user 9.1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Help! new mandrake user 9.1
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2004 7:53 PM PDT

I wouldn't do this as a newbie. I'd go get Mandrake 10 since it has more device support. For this discussion, the Windows drivers are not used in linux.

But if you insist, you would use google.com to find the driver for what you want and read the install instructions like you see at http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/linux/radeon-linux.html

A better distro or having supported hardware is far easier.

bob

Collapse -
by GRB / September 26, 2004 8:06 PM PDT

In my experience there are a variety of reasons for sound problems, most of which involve configuration rather than downloading drivers. C-media cards are especially well supported so it may be something as simple as checking to see if the volume is muted. Have you tried putting a music cd in and opening a player? If none of the easy stuff works, your best bet is to Google for something like "no sound Mandrake", and check the Mandrake forums. If you still can't find an answer, or don't understand something, post back with a few more details i.e. what desktop you are using. As far as FlashPlayer, if I remember correctly, it is a .bz or .gz file. Try this, right click on the file, you should have an option "extract here" choose that, that will create a folder, open the folder and inside will be a "read me" or "install" document (or both) read those. I think the install is as simple as opening a terminal and typing ./flasplayer-installer, that will bring up a GUI to guide you through the rest, it's all in the docs though. Give Linux a little time, read up on a few things, and in no time at all you will be able to do all of the basics. It's not as hard as some would have you believe. When you get stuck, post here or any of the many Linux/Mandrake forums, you'll find the Linux community extremely helpful. I've been using Linux for two years and I've never enjoyed my computer more. Good luck, and have fun - Gary.

Collapse -
by chuckieu / September 27, 2004 2:21 AM PDT

I agree with GRB. I have C-Media sound and have had no trouble in Red Hat 9, Fedora Core or the current Mandrake 10. Unlike Windows, you only worry about drivers in Linux if you run into a problem. If you have Broadband, download and install Mandrake 10. You will like it. MDK10 even already had the updated printer drivers I had been having to load for my Lexmark. Not all hardware will work at the same level as in Windows, but will work to an acceptable level. Example, my printer(now dead) worked fine as a business printer, but not at the higher speed and resolution of a Photo printer. Just booted back to Windows when I needed that. chuck

Collapse -
by skippyd333 / September 27, 2004 11:26 AM PDT

Thanks to all of you! I have a dual boot with XP and mandrake. On one side or the other the sound driver became corrupted. I reloaded both o/s systems and all drivers are working fine. Even my HP printer. My next problem is, all of you told me to update to version 10. I went to linuxmandrake.com and I can't find the update. Can someone navigate me to it? Also, flash media, I don't remember if I got it from mandrakes web site or not , but I downloaded it and tried to extract but the file was corrupted. were else can I find that? Well I also have a storage device problem, please go to that discussion and help me there. Skip

Collapse -
10 torrent?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2004 11:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: 10 torrent?
by skippyd333 / September 27, 2004 12:19 PM PDT
In reply to: 10 torrent?

thanks Bob! your fast. Happy Please read my discussion in storage. skip

Collapse -
I got my 3-disc set at.......
by chuckieu / September 28, 2004 5:10 AM PDT

Linuxiso.org
You will need Broadband of some kind. I had to wait for
my DSL to be installed. After that, downloaded in early A.M. for faster times. Even then, took a little time, but piece of cake. One disc was a little hinky, so I downloaded and reburned with no problem. One thing that puzzles me is, every once in a while it asks for "Disk 4?". Good luck. chuck

Collapse -
by skippyd333 / September 27, 2004 4:53 PM PDT

I'm using GNE, I think. Happy I looked at Gnome and windowmaker, but GNE looked More user friendly. AM I right? The media flash file I got said it was corrupt. Where can I get a download for it? Thanks, skip

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2004 8:49 PM PDT

" I'm using GNE, I think. Happy I looked at Gnome and windowmaker, but GNE looked More user friendly. AM I right? The media flash file I got said it was corrupt. Where can I get a download for it? Thanks, skip"

1. Your choice.

2. Given what you wrote in this post... the internet?

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.