Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Help needed with Toshiba Magnia SG10

I recently purchased a Magnia SG10 off of eBay. It came with the unit (including 64mb of RAM and a 5GB hard drive). I was able to supply a keyboard, monitor, power cable, ethernet cable from my laptop to the device and ethernet from the unit to my internet connection. It also came with a burned CD with a PDF version of the user manual, TIB files titled ClarkSG10.tib, toshv601.tib, and Esmith56_Up3_MagniaSG10.tib, and a ton of MD5 files. It DID NOT come with the disk from Toshiba that apparently sets up the device for me. And I really don't know how I am supposed to use the tib files. Also, when accessing whatever is currently on the unit's disk (some version of linux), I cannot do much but configure the device, as I don't have admin passwords to do anything else (and neither does the guy that sold the unit to me). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Especially if someone can supply an ISO of Toshiba's disk, as well as a way to restore the unit's drive to it's factory-shipped condition. Thanks so much!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help needed with Toshiba Magnia SG10
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help needed with Toshiba Magnia SG10
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Toshiba rarely shipped Linux.

In reply to: Help needed with Toshiba Magnia SG10

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=toshv601 finds only your post which usually means there is a typo.

But since you want to run Linux and we know Toshiba doesn't support that I would ignore all that and research what Linux versions will run on 64MB RAM and are current.
Bob
Collapse -
Yeah, I hear ya

In reply to: Toshiba rarely shipped Linux.

That leads me to assume that someone wiped whatever was on the system and installed Linux. I'm sure there are a good number of Linux distributions that would run on the unit, but considering it doesn't have a optical disk drive or a usb port, and while it takes IDE hard disks, my laptop takes SATA, so I can't swap hard drives to install the OS in my laptop. Complications, complications, :-P. Thanks for your response!

Collapse -
Then focus on

In reply to: Yeah, I hear ya

Finding the old CDROM drive for the unit. That is, if your cheap car had all but 3 of the 4 tires you start by finding the missing parts. I've seen people try to operate machines with missing parts but it tends to be a waste of time.

Focus on making the machine whole and consider that my brother parted with 2 laptops just last month for 100 bucks (each) which had more ram, usb, WIFI (albeit 802.11b) and all the restore CDs.
Bob

Collapse -
The thing is

In reply to: Then focus on

It didn't come with a CD drive originally. That's not part of the unit as manufactured by Toshiba, unfortunately. But I have a new approach. I bought a really cheap external enclosure for the IDE drive so I can connect that to my laptop and set it up like that. Happy

Collapse -
Just so you know.

In reply to: The thing is

Way back when those makers would only preinstall DOS or Windows 3.11 and sometimes as time went on you would see the occasional Windows 98.

Not to replace all the great web sites on this but doing that is simple. You format the drive for a dos boot, copy the few needed dos files over and the Win98 directory from the CD, then drivers you find.

The drive is slipped back into its host and dos boots, we install 98 and drivers and it works. The next owner is then wiped out as they try to figure out how it was installed.

Then again some of those beasts had a CDROM drive that was available as an option. Given the age and era I know what I've seen over the years but can't remember it all.
Bob

Collapse -
Interestingly enough

In reply to: Just so you know.

That's exactly what I plan to do.
1) Remove the hard drive
2) Mount it on another computer (via USB in this case)
3) Wipe it and Copy/Install OS files to it
4) Put it back in the SG10 Happy

I will most likely install a version of linux, though Windows 98 had actually crossed my mind. Does anyone know how much RAM the SG10 can handle? It has two RAM slots, only one is filled anyway (with 64mb in it).

Collapse -
You've got the best on your CD

In reply to: Toshiba rarely shipped Linux.

I've had several of these little wonders, from the SG10 to the SG40, and I hope you still have hope for the proper base OS in Linux. Every single SG series magnia was shipped with a modified version of Slackware linux. This was a very secure little server/ router/ app box that ran on very little power, was upgradeable (to a point) and quite small for what it did. The biggest problem with them, other than the fans that seem to get quite noisy after a few months, was if the hard drive did crash or get corrupted, you had to go back to Toshiba for a new disk. Their proprietary (router) hardware setup left it hard to change out to MS products. There are ways to do so, but from what I've seen, it entails pulling the board out of the case and using a special riser card to operate with a video card.
Over the last several years, there have been a few groups that created better/ upgraded software packages. If you were to look on the web for what those file extensions were on your disk, you would find that they are Acronis Disk Image files of the better distributions. All you would have to do is burn the image onto your new disk and follow the instructions available online to get yourself going. With any of the images you have on that disk, you would be surpassing the original system with even more available options and upgrades. Check online to find which of the distributions would best suit you.
As far as the hardware, I believe that 128MB was the limit on the SG10, but I can't be sure. I was running 128MB of ram with an AMD K6-2 450Mhz processor and 2 60gig hard drives (largest I had available at the time). Good luck.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.