Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Help needed with PWSteal.Trojan

by mannymanam / January 30, 2006 1:10 AM PST

I'm not able to access regedit. My OS is Windows 98 SE, running on Dell with 500MZ Pentium and 160MB of Ram. It has Norton Internet Security 2005 Version 8.0.5.14 that includes Norton AntiVirus Version 11.0.16.2 which doens't find the suspected PWSteal.Trojan as per Symantec website. I have tried running the tool to reset shell\open\command registry keys (UnHookExec.inf) but it doesn't correct problem. I have tried to download and run SARC Intelligent Updated but it states that my subscription is expired which is incorrect. I've tried to run the virus scan in safemode as per Symantec but it doesn't run in safemode. I tried running the UnHookExec.inf in safemode and it doesn't correct problem either. Please help me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help needed with PWSteal.Trojan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help needed with PWSteal.Trojan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not Quite Sure What to Suggest. What Makes You....
by tobeach / January 30, 2006 3:01 PM PST

suspect this trojan ?
I think you could try downloading & running Stinger .exe. Since it's free standing tool it might function. Doesn't cover all but does cover Pass Word Steal Sincom.dll & all Variants (??).Available here:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
You might try an online scan (if your Norton will let you) or a Trial (free) of a Trojan specialty scanner(same caution). Links for these on this page:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=114259&messageID=1298628
Have you tried an SFC repair with disk?
Sorry not techie enough to offer more. G'Luck!! Happy

Collapse -
Hi mannymanam
by roddy32 / January 30, 2006 11:36 PM PST

You are limited for trojan scanners which MIGHT remove this for you because you are using W98 but a-squared will work with that system. This link tells you about it and at the bottom of the page there is a download link. Make sure that you download the "free" and not the "personal"

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

Collapse -
Hi roddy32,
by mannymanam / February 6, 2006 9:26 AM PST
In reply to: Hi mannymanam

Thank you very much for your reply. Funny you should suggest to download a-squared, because one of the sites that you can download it from is MajorGeeks.com and that is where I was able to get the solution to my problem. I searched the internet for answers and found the site: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407. It was able to solve my problem and I recommend the site to anyone that is having any problems with trojans or a virus. Thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome, glad you got it fixed.
by roddy32 / February 6, 2006 9:28 AM PST
In reply to: Hi roddy32,

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!