General discussion

Help needed with community translating platform

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> Aloha,
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">I need help creating a platform for community based translation. If anybody has any suggestions as to how to do this or could actually help in doing it i'd appreciate it. We're trying to translate english children's books to marshallese so they have some native language reading material in the marshall islands. we'd need a split screen set up that allows for display of english text (images, probably jpg's) on one side and a space for translation on the other. It would need to be linked to a data base so that it could be saved as well.

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">mahalos for any help you can offer

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">jeremy

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Help needed with community translating platform
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help needed with community translating platform
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Suggestion...
If anybody has any suggestions as to how to do this

PHP, MySQL, jQuery, HTML, and CSS.

PHP the process everything the user interacts with, MySQL to store all of the data, jQuery to perform some validation and make small ajax requests to get/save data, and then HTML/CSS to display the content to the user.

~Sovereign
- Collapse -
thanks

Sovereign, thanks for the advice. It will definitely help. Unfortunately I know nothing about coding or not enough anyway to carry out everything that needs doing. Any advice on where i might find some help?

- Collapse -
There are sites out there

where you can describe your project and receive bids on how much it would cost. Just google "hire a freelancer" and look at some of those top results (not the very top, which is advertising). Each freelancer will usually have a feedback score from previous clients, so you can look at that to make sure you get good help.

~Sovereign

- Collapse -
Money

Thankyou for your suggestions. I have already tried working through some of these sites without success. Even when I clearly stated that I have no money to spend on the project and even when I just described the type of work needed, I received dozens of responses. All of them wanted money from 75k-125k. Money I don't have. The only thing I have is my idea. Your forum was exactly the type of place I needed to seek help. The technical experts here and all the people they know are who can help me. I am in no way trying to insult you or budge into another discussion. I created a new topic so that just maybe someone could come to help. I read the policies and understand their rules. I feel that these rules remain unbroken. Please allow me to use your forum to seek the help I need.

- Collapse -
This forum can help

you with code that you are writing or modifying (as long as you have the legal rights to do so), but only via specific questions and a display of a reasonable effort to solve the problem. It is not a place to post project ideas and attempting to recruit free help for development.

I will say that if your project is similar to the OP's project, 75k-125k seems way out of line. You might be better off talking with a local web design/development agency.

Also keep in mind that any new project requires capital, unless you are doing it all yourself or have friends helping you.

~Sovereign

CNET Forums