Computer Help forum

General discussion

Help needed with BigString email

by luvmyd / March 27, 2008 9:48 AM PDT

Hi,

I am interested in using BigString email, but am having a very difficult time trying to figure out how to use the special features. They do not have help pages that I can find, and I am a newbie to this type of thing (and to most computer things).

Might there be someone familiar with the in's and out's of BigString that I could ask questions of? It would mean oh so very much to me!

Thank you so very much! I appreciate it so!

K

Message was edited by: admin to remove email address

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help needed with BigString email
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help needed with BigString email
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 27, 2008 10:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
NO String!
by kothare45 / April 30, 2013 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you try. . .

Is anyone able to open the link: http://www.bigstring.com/

I have already registered but I'm unable to use the link! Can someone pl. send suggestions for the registered users' signing in to BigString?

Collapse -
It went away last year.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 10:18 AM PDT
In reply to: NO String!

Just so we know, what made you think it's working?

Collapse -
reply to: Help needed with BigString email
by caktus / March 27, 2008 10:31 AM PDT

As mentioned in the NOTE in red letters above the text box where you typed your message, it is not a good idea to post your personal data such as email address as it can result in a lot of SPAM being sent to your inbox. Perhaps one of the Moderator's will be kind enough to remove it for you.

As for BigString, it sound interesting. You might try contacting them by their Support form at
http://www.bigstring.com/free-email-address/supportv2.php

Hope this is helpful.

Charlie

Collapse -
Help needed with BigString email, continued
by luvmyd / March 27, 2008 7:49 PM PDT

Hi Coryphaeus and caktus,

Thank you for your posts and for the support page link (which is the form for emailing them). I know that it would seem the obvious place for me to turn, but in this case, there are too many questions that I'd have to ask, and I wouldn't even know where to begin. It would be the equivalent of asking them to write out the help pages in response. That's why I am inquiring here, because BigString doesn't have any help pages -- they have FAQ's and such, but it just tells you what you *can* do, but not how to do it. I am familiar with using traditional email, but the reason I am interested in using BigString is because it has features that normal email does not have (the features are patented by BigString, and that's why other email services don't have them). There are a lot of these components, but they aren't self-explanatory or intuitive, and so I was hoping to talk to someone familiar with using them.

I hope I explained it a little bit better -- I apologize for not including a better description of it in my initial post.

I sure appreciate your thoughtfulness!

With many thanks,

K

Collapse -
You have to sign up and log in ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 28, 2008 1:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you!
by luvmyd / March 28, 2008 4:19 AM PDT

Oh my goodness Edward, you found a little treasure trove! How did you ever find this?! I searched and searched, and I couldn't find anything like this linked to any of BigString's main pages! Did you find it linked to their accessable pages? Or were you just so very thoughtful that you searched for it in a search that I didn't know how to do? Oh my, I am just so thrilled! I just can't thank you enough! There's just so much info in there that one couldn't know without reading it!

Bless your heart for doing that! You've made such a difference for me! I will always remember your kindness!

K

Collapse -
Nothing really difficult ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 28, 2008 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you!

especially if you have the google toolbar.

Go to www.bigstring.com and once there type guide into the google searchbox then select the Search Site button.

If you do not have the Google Toolbar it is very difficult because it takes an extra step.

Go to www.google.com (that is the extra step) then in the searchbox type site:http://www.bigstring.com/ guide then click the google search button.

Collapse -
Thank you more!
by luvmyd / March 28, 2008 10:07 AM PDT

Thank you, Edward!

Thank you for teaching me so many nice things today! They will be so helpful! I feel like you're teaching me magic! Happy

I am intrigued by the Google Toolbar and am not sure if I have it or not -- I am in Internet Explorer, and up at the top left is the Google Icon, then a search box with a down arrow, then the word 'Go', then a newspaper, mail, globe, swirls, and other things, but *no* button or place with a Search Site button! I'm looking so hard and just can't find it! It would seem to me that this would be the Google Toolbar, wouldn't it? Am I overlooking something? Oh my.

And the string for doing a search on the Google home page is wonderful! I've been longing for something like that and I can't tell you how thankful I am that you taught me! Oh what a difference it will make!

Thank you for going out of your way to teach a stranger such helpful things! You've changed my experience on the web, in so many ways, and I just can't tell you what that means to me!

Thank you so very, very much!!

K

Collapse -
Google Toolbar
by luvmyd / March 28, 2008 11:44 AM PDT

Hello again Edward!

My Google Toolbar looks JUST like this: http://toolbar.google.com/T4/index_pack_xp.html

I can't seem to find any Search Site button -- could you point me in the direction of it? I would just love to have the feature available, as it opens up another little world I hadn't known about before you so thoughtfully told me!

Thank you again SO very much!

K

Collapse -
Just like that or does it have ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 29, 2008 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Google Toolbar
Settings on the far right?

If it has Settings, click it then choose Options then the Buttons tab and make sure the "Search Current Site" button has a check.

If you don't, for some reason, have the Settings option on the toolbar Google has provided for that too. Right next to the word Google there is a G with a black downward pointing triangle. If you click it you have an option to search the current site.

This link to the Google Toolbar help page will help you discover what other features the toolbar offers that you might be missing out on:
http://www.google.com/support/toolbar/bin/
(If you click the Toolbar Basics link it opens a page where you can see how to "Access your Toolbar Settings")
Collapse -
Thank you .....
by luvmyd / March 29, 2008 1:38 PM PDT

Hello Edward!

Everything you said was WONDERFUL! It all worked perfectly! And my goodness, the other options on the toolbar will help my searches so much! I just had no idea! It's amazing what one can overlook! Especially when they don't feel comfortable online yet. It's a great gift to have someone make things a bit less overwhelming -- it just changes everything! I can't tell you what that means to me.

I will always think about your thoughtfulness, and I will make sure to pay it forward.

With so many thanks!!

K

Collapse -
Bigstring help manual
by smilla13 / April 26, 2011 1:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you!

Hi - Bigstring no longer has any support manuals at all - ie, the one sugggested to you by Edward Daniel in 2008 - do you by any chance have a copy of the info that you can send to me. Or should I just ditch the program? You are very kind. Thanks bunches.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.