The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Help needed with a new monitor

Sorry for the OT, but if someone can point me to a source for this answer, I would appreciate it.

I just got a new widescreen monitor an older computer. It suggests 1440 by 900, but my display properties settings do not go that high. So, the icons are all stretched a bit. As it is, I am using 1024x768, and the icons are a viewable size, but stretched. The 1280 by 1024 makes everything too small.

Can I do anything with this older computer to get the right ratio for a widescreen?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help needed with a new monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help needed with a new monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hold on, maybe a never mind . . .

In reply to: Help needed with a new monitor

I just saw on another forum that it should come with drivers, and so I checked the box and, somewhat hidden, was a disc. So, hopefully that will do the trick!

Collapse -
No, still a problem

In reply to: Hold on, maybe a never mind . . .

I have installed the drivers from the disk, but the 1440 x 900 is still not there, and now even the 1280 is gone. I ran the software, but the "preferred" resolution button which is an option is greyed out. So, I am still not able to get the preferred resolution or the right ratio.

Collapse -
Alright, here is what I did

In reply to: No, still a problem

I tried downloading a new driver for my video card (still from 2004), and it did give me the higher resolutions. But, for some reason, the 1440x900, which was the recommended one, kept causing bad things, showing "no input" and even making it go to sleep.

But, I did find a resolution that would work. The 1224 x 768 actually works fine, no stretching at all. So, I suppose all is well, even if it is not the "optimum" resolution.

Sorry, again, for the OT, but I figured I would give you what ended up working in case it is useful for anyone. Any additional thoughts are welcome, of course.

Collapse -

In reply to: Alright, here is what I did

If you still want the 1400x900 resolution try PowerStrip, It can force you'r drivers to give you the 1400x900 option, it's try before you but, but if you try and get it working, just uninstall the software and it will keep the 1400x900 res. Happy

If you need more help just join the BOL chat at watchbol.com

Tales

Collapse -
PowerStrip or MultiRes?

In reply to: .

PowerStrip costs $29.95+, so I suggest first trying MultiRes. MultiRes is free for personal use, so you can use it without feeling guilty. Happy MultiRes is made by the same people as PowerStripand it might just do the trick. Good luck.

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/multires.shtm

Collapse -
No make, model but can you find the ...

In reply to: Help needed with a new monitor

MONITOR.INF for that one?

Collapse -
It's an HP1907 . . .

In reply to: No make, model but can you find the ...

but right now, my wife (who primarily uses this computer, says she wants to keep it here. She said that when the IT at her school (she is a teacher) set her resolution that high, she thought everything was too small. I told her that I could try increasing the DPI setting to "largest", and then she could get the benefit of the higher resolution, but she seems content the way it is.

What are the additional benefits of the higher resolution? Better movie watching? More screen real estate? Could I really get everything big enough with just the DPI adjustment?

Thanks guys for the help!

Collapse -
So is it the w1907?

In reply to: It's an HP1907 . . .

Collapse -
Very cool, thanks!

In reply to: So is it the w1907?

I will check that out!

Collapse -
Higher Rez

In reply to: It's an HP1907 . . .

That's about it. More screen real estate. It's easier to run more than one application at a time if you have room. For example TV while Grading Homework.

She's right that the highe rez shrinks all the icons. There are however some options to make them bigger. XP does ok at this. Vista a bit better. Neither is perfect at getting the text to appear a a good size though.

The best reason to use your native monitor resolution though is that the sharpest your text will appear. When you get an LDC and have it set right text starts to snap and you realize how fuzzy the CRT style was. However if you don't use the native you don't get to see that benefit.

Collapse -
I would assume the video is clearer as well

In reply to: Higher Rez

In addition to that, I would assume that when we play back video (we watch Lost after the fact each week), it will come out sharper as well.

I asked her about all of that and she said that, given the option, she likes it better a bit bigger even if not as sharp. I would likely prefer the better resolution, but it is not my eyes, I suppose!

Thanks for all your help, guys. I know this is OT for this forum, but I trust the folks here more than most other forums.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!