HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

General discussion

Help needed to use my laptop on my Samsung TV wirelessly

by johnv41 / July 8, 2010 4:43 AM PDT

I hope that I do not offend anyone by asking a question that has already been answered but I have searched all over the net and these forums trying to find out how to do this with no luck. I have seen many posts but they seem to be looking for how to set up a network to their TV or how to hook up a laptop with wires. The question that I have is:

What do I have to do to be able to use my laptop on my Samsung TV so that I can surf the net and open up any documents that I have on my laptop. Essentially, to be able to sit back away from the TV and use its screen while working on my laptop, but without an HDMI cable attached.

I am able to connect successfully with an HDMI cable (which is what I am using now while typing this post) and I am also able to access my desktop and laptops media via my wireless network and DLNA. I just am looking for answers on how I can use the beautiful Samsung screen and my laptop while I am sitting away from the TV without a 10' HDMI cable strewn across the floor. With a 3 year old and 2 pugs, there is way too much that can go wrong with that setup 9)

Here are my specs in case this will be important in formulating an answer:

TV:
Samsung LN46B750
HDMI, 1080p, 240Hz, ...

Laptop:
Dell Inspiron 1525
HDMI, wireless, Bluetooth, ...

Network:
Linksys WRT54G2 Wireless G (connected to laptop wirelessly and to TV with an Ethernet cable. Modem and router are two shelves below the TV.)
DLNA connects media from desktop and laptop accessed via the "source" button on remote.

I hope this post is not too long. I am hoping to give as much information as possible towards this.

Thank you all for past answers and any help on this matter!

John

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help needed to use my laptop on my Samsung TV wirelessly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help needed to use my laptop on my Samsung TV wirelessly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Help needed to use my laptop on my Samsung TV wirelessly
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 8, 2010 4:56 AM PDT

johnv41,

Nobody gets dinged for asking questions here, and I'm glad you chose our forum to interact in.

There isn't a wireless way to transmit a signal built into the TV, and I don't think there's one built into the computer either.

However, there may be a push-box type solution from a third party company that you can connect the comptuer to (and of course a receiver on the TV that you'd connect), but I don't have any recommendations on manufacturers or products, nor do I know what the quality would be. Other forum members with experiences might be able to assist there.

There is wireless DLNA, but that's a feature for specific movie and picture types, but from what I read in your post, you're looking to run your entire desktop on the screen.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks!
by johnv41 / July 8, 2010 8:16 AM PDT

Thanks for responding so fast! I will check back from time to time to see if anyone has any suggestions for the products you mentioned.

Have a great day!

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 8, 2010 11:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

johnv41,

Happy to help.

I'm headed over to the local electronics store this weekend to pick up a few things anyway, so while I'm there, I'll see if any of the salespeople I know have any recommendations, or know of something that might work.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks! I love this forum!
by johnv41 / July 8, 2010 12:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

Thank you again! It's no wonder that I as well as so many others choose Samsung as well as this forum so often! Thank you for going out of your way to help me and others that will look to this post!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.