Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

help needed to build a PC

by dariableach / January 24, 2008 7:58 AM PST

Hi everybody, I'm a bit stuck and need some help, PLEASE!
I study multimedia and for an assignment I have to "build" a multimedia pc (to do animation/video, etc.): choosing the parts, price them and value its performance...can anybody help me or at least suggest some good websites to look at?
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help needed to build a PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help needed to build a PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sure...
by John.Wilkinson / January 25, 2008 4:46 AM PST

While you won't receive much help since this is a homework assignment I will give you two websites to start with:
newegg.com
tomshardware.com

If you search those sites wisely and use what knowledge they've (hopefully) taught you you shouldn't need to look much further.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
After a good beat of reading...
by dariableach / January 26, 2008 7:31 AM PST
In reply to: Sure...

Hello, thanks for your suggestions, I had a good look at both sites you suggested and a few more and this is what I worked out so far:

Intel Quad 6600
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L S775 P35 ATX motherboard
dual nvidia 8800 GT/512
G Skill 2 x2GB DDR2 800 RAM
WD SATAII 750 GB 7200 RPM 16 Mb Hard Drive
LG GSA-H62N 18X DVD+/-RW SATA Drive
CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1250w PS
CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000 case
Windows Vista 64bit
...what do you think?
I have a few questions:
is the motherboard I picked compatible with the nvidia 8800 GT? or I'd better get an nvidia motherboard?
Is there anything missing?
Other than this Power Supply do I need extra ones for the graphic cards/hard drive/Cpu? What would you suggest?
I have to bring in this assignment for monday and my head is exploding...HELP!
Thanks

Collapse -
Honestly...
by John.Wilkinson / January 26, 2008 2:35 PM PST

There are a few things I'd change to balance that cost-performance ratio, but there's just one major item you're missing...Remember to cool that processor in some fashion!

For using multiple graphics cards, the key terms to keep in mind are Crossfire and SLI. Which do the graphics cards support? And the motherboard?

I won't fill in the blanks since this is an assignment, but if you think about what I've said it should become clear.

Good luck.
John

Collapse -
done more studying!
by dariableach / January 28, 2008 8:57 AM PST
In reply to: Honestly...

Hello again,
thank God I got a couple more days on this assignment...
anyway after the whole day spent reading more and more websites, reviews, etc.:
Intel Core 2 Extreme 6750
CPU cooler: Zero Therm BTF90
Motherboard Intel DX38BT with Intel 38 Express chipset
Memory: 2x1GB 240-pin DIMM DDR3 1066Mhz
HaRD dRIVE:Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB cache SATA 3.0Gb
LG GSA-H62N 18x DVD+/RW SATA Drive
Graphic card: Visiontech Radeon HD 3850 OC Edition 512 MB PCIe 2.0 CrossFire ready
Sound card: Creative SB-X-FI Xtreme Audio 7.1 channels PCIe
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Stel ATX Mid Tow+Rosewill RFA120-K 120mm case fan
PSU- Cooler master Real Power Pro 1250 wps
Monitors: LaCie 324 LCD 24"+Acer AL1706Ab Black 17" 8ms LCD

...what do you think now? Please tell me it's not all wrong or I know I'll fail this thing!
Many thanks
Daria

Collapse -
(NT) Looks good...no major problems. Good luck.
by John.Wilkinson / January 29, 2008 8:33 AM PST
In reply to: done more studying!
Collapse -
(NT) THANKS!!!!
by dariableach / January 29, 2008 8:50 AM PST
Collapse -
That video area looks to not be mulitmedia but...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2008 10:19 PM PST

GAMING. Without knowing which game and where on the price/performance curve you want to be I'm going to write that any PCIe card will do for mulitmedia. And besides that CRYSIS game I've yet to find any card to be taxed too hard unless the owner is trying to run some 32 inch 2 megapixel plus display.

Bob

Collapse -
Have you gone to Apple.com?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2008 5:23 AM PST

These are favs in the multimedia arena and to build one you just take currency and stack them one on another until the machine appears.

Nearly magical.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.