Samsung forum

General discussion

Help needed streaming video from pc to LN40A750

by blackfox135 / December 3, 2008 6:04 AM PST

I'm glad I found this forum. Samsung said one didn't exist. Just spent an hour discussing my problem with a Samsung tech to no avail. Had to ask them to open the manual to page 89 to help me out.
Anyway enough of the bbb....
My problem is this.
I can view video from my usb stick, but if the same video is put on my pc and I use Vista Media player to stream to the pc - it says media not supported. I can view the same pictures and music on my usb stick and stream from Vista, but I cannot stream video from Vista which I can watch from the USB stick. The videos are encoded with xvid and all are less than 800x600. Has anyone had a similar problem.
And for some reason, I can't get Samsung PC Share to show anything in the folders - says there is no media available.
Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help needed streaming video from pc to LN40A750
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help needed streaming video from pc to LN40A750
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few things...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 4, 2008 12:31 PM PST

First of all, welcome to the forum, blackfox135.

The first thing I would do is take a look at your supported files. These are the files, resolutions and audio codec combinations that PCShare will support, and they must fall into all three combinations for the unit to work:
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/samsung_hd_tech/Page82.jpg

So if those fall into line, I suggest that it may be a HDCP issue, so you also might want to check to make sure you have the latest drivers for your computer. If you have a branded computer, go to their website with your model number. If you have a "piece together", go to the website of the video card manufacturer for your search.

That actually seems to be the problem based on what you wrote. If the thumbdrive works, it appears that the codecs would be accepted for your PC as well. I'd definitely check the drivers.

Keep me posted!

--HDTech

Collapse -
Help needed streaming video from pc to LN40A750
by blackfox135 / December 5, 2008 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: A few things...

Thanks for the reply.
Some more information for you to consider.
I believe the drivers are current on the pc as:
all the video, audio and photos can be displayed on the pc.
all the video, audio and photos can be displayed on the tv using the usb stick
all of the audio and photos can be displayed on the tv using wiselink but only if located in drive c, even though the other hard drive m is shared with pc share.
only some of the above video can be displayed, ie. mpg extensions, not avi on the tv using wiselink and only if located in the c drive of the PC Share server, even though the other hd is shared. These are the same avi files that can be displayed on the tv using the usb link.
None of the data on the shared M drive is visible on the TV.
Does this provide you with any further information?
Is there a maximum number of shared video, audio or pictures that PC Share manager can handle?

Collapse -
PC Share
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 5, 2008 7:30 AM PST

Blackfox135,

I'm going to have to get some more information from our tech desk to answer some of these questions.

But I'll address what I can today, and get you the rest on Monday.

I've seen some cases with shared drives not being able to provide video. I'm looking into why that is, or if anyone has found a solution.

I do know that there are some issues with content that would play on WiseLink, but not PC Share, and before I get ahead of myself, let me check into that a little more on Monday. I'm not sure if some content is limited due to physical, technological or legal limitations, but that's on my "to find out" list.

If you search PC Share in the Samsung threads on C|Net's search engine, there are a few other discussions by other forum members about PC Share that may help. I'm not as much of an expert on it as I'd like to be, and that will change quick. In the meantime, I will get some clarification.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?