Windows 8 forum

Question

help needed - right click windows 8.1 very slow

If I right click a file in windows 8.1 the cursor rotates and it can take a long time for the menu to appear.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help needed - right click windows 8.1 very slow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help needed - right click windows 8.1 very slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Or wait

In reply to: help needed - right click windows 8.1 very slow

Hi daveiburnaby,
As Bob suggested, you can go back to a released OS, or you might wait till 8.1 is released in October. I am using it on my computer without any issues. Ensure that Windows updates are up-to date.

Thanks and Regards,
Appu S

Collapse -
Answer
right click windows 8.1 very slow

Collapse -
(NT) if I need to clean boot then i will go back for win 7

In reply to: right click windows 8.1 very slow

Collapse -
Re: clean boot

In reply to: if I need to clean boot then i will go back for win 7

In that link I read nothing about going back to win 7. Please re-read that link.

Kees

Collapse -
(NT) These solution worked for me. Thanks livepcexpert7

In reply to: right click windows 8.1 very slow

Collapse -
Answer
Same Problem

I have the same issue. ~30 seconds to bring up the right click menu on the desktop of Windows 8.1. Didn't have the issue on Win8. Interestingly this is the only place the right click menu is slow.

Collapse -
Same Issue even after clean boot

In reply to: Same Problem

Same issue with the 30 Sec to pull up the right click menu. I have perform the clean boot and the problem was still present. Its seems anything related to windows explorer is slow to respond..opening the initial explorer windows takes awhile. Sometimes the right click does work as normal.

Collapse -
Same problem too.

In reply to: Same Issue even after clean boot

I have the same problem after upgrading to Windows 8.1. My laptop is 2 days old.

Right click takes 15 secs to bring up the menu.

Collapse -
Answer
Problem Solved !!

i was dealing with this trouble too on win 8.1 the menu on desktop takes 30 sec to show up and anywhere else no problem so i went to Microsoft website [here the link] Confused and i found a guy with the same problem and the help team answered him to open the device manager and upgrade the display drivers
so i went to the device manager and i found that the Intel is already there but there is one undefined with a "!" mark on it
so i thought that my Nvidia card isn't defined so i downloaded the driver and installed it and restarted and the problem was solved Cool !
<div>i think

this happens to ppl who made upgrade to win 8 to 8.1 cuz in this process the nvidia driver definition is lost

so if u having this problem go to the device manager and define the undefined display driver and the problem will be solved</div>i hope i was helpful Wink

Collapse -
No go for me

In reply to: Problem Solved !!

Yeah I went into device manager and it appeared that windows installed the new driver but when I restarted it was still able to look for an updated driver. I dont have the exclamation point near it at all. So I went to Nvidia site and got the driver directly from there and it installed with no issues and windows reports it as fully updated. I am still getting the slow response when trying to access the context menu.

Collapse -
u sure...

In reply to: No go for me

u sure that ur device manager doesn't have at the display session any driver with the "!" sign ?

Collapse -
Yes :(

In reply to: u sure...

Nothing there with !

Collapse -
It is solved!

In reply to: Problem Solved !!

After reading your (Karim) reply. I didnt even bother to look at the device manager thing. BEcause I also have an Nvidia card in my new lappy.

I went straight to have the new driver downloaded and installed. And it is beautiful now. Right click menu pops out as soon as it is clicked.

Thank you so much Karim.

Collapse -
:D

In reply to: It is solved!

Grin Anytime Grin
Collapse -
Answer
Driver Solution

So, I was having this issue after windows 8.1 up until about five seconds ago. For my Laptop, however, I have an AMD-yada-yada Display Adapter, and when I tried to update it - in hopes that would fix the issue - it said I was already fully updated and the issue persisted. However, I decided to simply disable then re-enable it, to see if that would do anything, and voila, slow right-click menu is now instant on Desktop. (Also, since it took me a while to find everything - since everyone else here sorta expected you knew where device manager was - I decided I'd make a steps to reach it / try this fix guide...)

1. Open side menu
2. Click Settings
3. Click PC Info
4. On the left of PC Info window, click Device Manager.
5. In the Display Adapters section, right-click on your adapter, and click Disable. (Screen will flash off temporarily.)
6. Right Click on the now-disabled Display Adapter, and click Enable. (Screen will flash off again, but your slow right click should be fixed.)

Now I'm wondering if this also had to do with my computer randomly changing brightness/saturation...
Since that was changing erratically during use after 8.1 as well... I suppose it could be it, if the display adapter manages those things at all... Anyway, since there seems to be some variability in information, hope this helps!

Collapse -
help needed - right click windows 8.1 very slow by daveiburn

In reply to: Driver Solution

dude, i tried what you have suggested (disable and then enable display adapter under device manager menu) but it didn't help !! Sad
please tell if you have any other suggestion

Collapse -
Disabling, renabling worked

Thanks so much for this--I have W8.1 on 32GB RAM Origin desktop substitute and it fixed the very slow right click/display problems, at least for now.

Collapse -
(NT) it helps for me thankx..

Collapse -
Answer
Respuesta lenta en windows 8.1

With msconfig, I disable nengine (it seems belong to Bing), at windows start, and works finally fine. Check it.

Collapse -
Answer
someone should sticky this one

at least till some microsoft update makes the problem disappear.

Collapse -
Answer
Slow Right click due to shell extension error

Collapse -
I like that tool.

In reply to: Slow Right click due to shell extension error

Collapse -
Answer
HELP

after doing this not solve my problem

Collapse -
Better make a new thread ...

In reply to: HELP

and tell all YOUR relevant details.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.