Desktops forum

General discussion

help needed please

by msaifi / March 25, 2005 9:14 PM PST

I just returned my 8400 dell system ,a nd just got my full refund from them . i'm thinking about buying a gateway pc the 9310S series which has the new intel 600 chip , my question is , is gatway still makes good pc's , and if any one tried thier 9310s ??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help needed please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help needed please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE:
by nerdyboy1234 / March 26, 2005 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: help needed please

y did u return the dell? because it had the 5xx processor the new 6xx ones? y dont u just order a new dell with the new processor? I would not buy from hp right now until they come up with better, newer models. I would also not get sony until they get the 6xx processors. I dont think that ure a gamer so not looking for any gaming pc manufacturers.

I would not suggest getting gateway since u cannot customize specs, ugly looking , and monitors suks. i have an emachine t5026 which is made by gateway and it is loaded with generic hardware.

But if u really want gateway, iwould suggest the 9310x cuz it would probably meet all ur needs perfectly. If ure a gamer or need more performance and hd space then get the 9310xl which upgrades the gfx card from 6600gt to 6800u and adds sound blaster audigy 2 sound card.

Collapse -
ure obviously from cuz ville
by ozos / March 26, 2005 3:11 PM PST
In reply to: RE:

please, for the sake of the fourm goers, use english correctly

aside from that minor...annoyance

I would say if you returned the Dell because of it's lack of the Pentium IV 6xx, you just wasted your time

the Pentium IV 5xx vs. Pentium IV 6xx is such a minimal performance increase, basically, you just fell into a marketing trap...

i'd suggest custom building a system with the refund check, as no current OEM has a system worth the box it comes in

HP's systems ship with crap graphics and mobos
Dell's systems ship filled to the brim with cheap parts
Gateway is the same

Sony's machines always rely on people being stupid and thinking because it's Sony it's better

i'd suggest building your own
with an Athlon64

giving you 64-bit support (better 64-bit, AMD64 (AMD's 64-bit) is better than EM64T (which is Intel's 64-bit))
giving you more performance in gaming, synthetic benchmarks, and costing you less money

currently my suggested processor is the Athlon64 3800+, which is equivalent to a 3.8GHZ Pentium IV

i would suggest a Socket 939 3400+ (3.4GHZ equivalent) BUT, newegg doesn't sell them anymore, and the cost difference from the 3500 to the 3800 is so minimal that it's worth spending the extra $50 to get the 15% power boost

the 3700+ for Socket 754 is not bad, but you give up PCIE and dual channel RAM

i would suggest the 3800+ and a good graphics card, such as the 6800nU or 6800GT

Collapse -
Build you own!
by jcrobso / March 29, 2005 11:48 PM PST

Check out www.newegg.com And price out the PC that ozos suggested. John

Collapse -
instead of
by mackman / April 1, 2005 11:05 PM PST

giving a canned response to "build the ultimate" box shouldn't we be asking questions and giving responses gauged to the posters inquiry? Although it is fine to suggest "build", from this post it appears that he is an off the shelf buyer and to tell him all off the shelf boxes are "crap" is going to confuse alot of computing inexperienced people
Just my HO

Collapse -
Help?
by John Robie / April 2, 2005 1:34 AM PST

Ah Msaifi, are you not asking for someone to ask you why you returned the 8400?
The Dell 8400 and the Gateway 9310 series can be configured almost the same with the 6xx (EM64T).

Collapse -
Gateway PC's
by Axinar / April 2, 2005 9:40 AM PST

Haven't tried the 9310S ... that came out just after I bought my last machine.

Thus far, the Gateway 825GM has been working pretty well for me -- it is a BTX machine same as the 9310S ... although I have made some pretty major mods to the 825GM:

http://axinar.blogspot.com/2005/04/gateway-825gm-update.html

Although if you are thinking about the 9310S you shouldn't have to go through all that as you could get it configured exactly the way you wanted it directly from Gateway.

Ax

Collapse -
Help Needed please
by PASCCO / April 2, 2005 1:42 PM PST

My first question is was wrong with 8400 dell system ?

Ther next thing i like for you to look at what are using the computer for:

If you are looking for the system to go fast or perform anyway defference. You as computer owner can make change in upgrade to get you were need to go.

If more question feel free to contact me. nabvetssota@yahoo.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.