Small business & Startups forum

General discussion

Help needed for Toshiba Magnia SG10

I recently purchased a Magnia SG10 off of eBay. It came with the unit (including 64mb of RAM and a 5GB hard drive). I was able to supply a keyboard, monitor, power cable, ethernet cable from my laptop to the device and ethernet from the unit to my internet connection. It also came with a burned CD with a PDF version of the user manual, TIB files titled ClarkSG10.tib, toshv601.tib, and Esmith56_Up3_MagniaSG10.tib, and a ton of MD5 files. It DID NOT come with the disk from Toshiba that apparently sets up the device for me. And I really don't know how I am supposed to use the tib files. Also, when accessing whatever is currently on the unit's disk (some version of linux), I cannot do much but configure the device, as I don't have admin passwords to do anything else (and neither does the guy that sold the unit to me). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Especially if someone can supply an ISO of Toshiba's disk, as well as a way to restore the unit's drive to it's factory-shipped condition. Thanks so much!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help needed for Toshiba Magnia SG10
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help needed for Toshiba Magnia SG10
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's a nice machine.

In reply to: Help needed for Toshiba Magnia SG10

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5960

If the guy who sold it, can't support it, better contact Toshiba or the shop where he bought it originally.

In the Windows world, tib is an Acronis full disk image: http://filext.com/file-extension/tib
And so it seems in the Linux world: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=77524

And that's all I can offer you.

May I remark that it doesn't make much sense to me to buy such an old (5 years) device without any support. It might be cheap, but you have to invest so much time to get it working (without any certainty that you will succeed) that - whatever business you are running - you'd better spend that time earning money with your business, buying something you can use off the shelf and still have something left.

Kees
Collapse -
I appreciate your detailed response

In reply to: That's a nice machine.

I assume the guy who sold it probably salvaged it from the trash at work, and yeah, I wouldn't expect him to know much about it. As for Toshiba, I highly, highly doubt they would give support for a product this old. You are correct that tib files are Acronis image files. But I don't really know what I'm supposed to do with them, as Acronis is a Windows program and my Windows laptop cannot currently communicate with the SG10 :-P. I agree with you that there is hardly any use for the unit, but I'm that kind of guy where I get satisfaction out of tinkering with obsolete electronics :-D. I'm not running a business or anything, but I posted this in the Business section, because the unit is intended for small businesses and not for home use, so I was taking a chance that someone on this forum might've had experience with the unit in the past. Thanks for your response! It is much appreciated!

Collapse -
Good configuration and good machine

In reply to: That's a nice machine.

Its better to get help fromo Toshiba technicians. They will provide you complete solution for that but Acronis is windows program which is old version.

I am also looking for this problem solution. Really good post.

Collapse -
Re: Help needed for Toshiba Magnia SG10

In reply to: Help needed for Toshiba Magnia SG10

Download the trial version of Acronis from their site.
Connect to SG10's HDD to the laptop, presumably you could connect it with an external USB case, see what Acronis works with.
Use Acronis to write the drive image to said drive.
Put the drive back in the SG10 and turn on, it should auto setup.
If you reset the SG, the default login & password is admin & toshiba or something like that (the manual should tell you).
NOTE: if you write the image to a larger drive, the setup process will expand the image to the larger size (excellent chance to increase to a more useable size).

I used this method to fix my SG20, which I am now selling fully working on eBid with a start price of

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.