General discussion

Help needed for Samsung ML-4600 printer

Hi, I'm trying to use a Samsung ML-4600 printer with my new Windows 7 laptop. As the laptop doesn't have a parallel port, I bought a parallel-USB cable. I started by plugging the USB end into my laptop; Windows 7 automatically installed the cable, which appeared as "IEEE-1284 Controller" in Devices and Printers. I then downloaded the driver for the printer from the Samsung website. Part-way through the installation of the driver, it prompted me to plug in the printer and turn it on. I did this, but it did not recognise that the printer was on. Any ideas on how I can get the printer working with my laptop?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Help needed for Samsung ML-4600 printer
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help needed for Samsung ML-4600 printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Doesn't the ml 4600 have USB?

Sadly it looks like a mis-step to have tried USB to Parallel when the printer looks to have USB already.

Is there more to this story.

Sorry, I didn't find Windows 7 drivers.
Bob

- Collapse -
@R. Proffitt No

No, it doesn't have a USB port. Also I already have the necessary driver, it's just that when I try to install the driver, the laptop doesn't recognise that I've plugged the printer in via the parallel/USB cable.

- Collapse -
Link says it does.
- Collapse -
@R. Proffitt USB port (or lack thereof)

Dude, it doesn't have a ******* USB port. I don't care what that page says, I have the thing in front of me and it does not have a USB port. Also, I'd really rather not buy another printer, since this one works perfectly well with my PC via a parallel/parallel cable (it's my parents' laptop that it doesn't work with - I'm normally at university so they can't print stuff without my PC being at home).

- Collapse -
That's not the only site that claims it has USB

I naturally used the old cnet review but samsung.com claims it has it.

Now remember that some old printers had a sliding door to hide the other port to keep folk from using both connections.

I've lost count of how many times that bit someone.
Bob

- Collapse -
(NT) Then it seems time for another printer.
- Collapse -
(NT) Thanks, you've been an enormous help(!)
- Collapse -
I can be even more helpful.
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200311/20031113141758609_ML4600_English.pdf is the user manual for the ML-4600. Appendix A10 (that's page 107 of 134) shows where the USB connection is located. I see no reason to distrust the user manual.

From the picture, I get the impression it's a B-type connector (that's a somewhat square one).

Or maybe you don't have the ML-4600? Then you only can blame yourself for providing the wrong information.

Kees
- Collapse -
Apologies

A thousand apologies, you're quite right. What threw me was a)that it's a type-B USB port (which is kind of small and square) and b)that it was obscured by those little wire hinges either side of the parallel port - I completely didn't see it. Fail. I guess what I'll therefore need is to buy a USB-A to USB-B cable.

Thanks to both of you.

- Collapse -
Thanks for getting back. Apologies accepted.

These kind of problems really can make you nervous.

Kees

CNET Forums

Forum Info