General discussion

Help needed, a file with a question mark - can't delete it.

I somehow created a file with a question mark.
I know it may sound very weird and stupid, but believe me it happened.
and I can't remember how I did it because it was like 2 years old file.
the bad thing about this problem is that windows-XP does not access this file in anyway possible, it doesn't delete, it doesn't copy, it doesn't move, it doesn't read, nothing.
Can anybody help me how to delete this file away?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Help needed, a file with a question mark - can't delete it.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help needed, a file with a question mark - can't delete it.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
To delete.

I use TWO methods.

1. The command line. With the wild cards if it's a .txt file and could copy all the txt files out and then this command.

DEL *.TXT

This is not an offer to duplicate the web about command line use.

2. The other bootable CD method. Read about Ubuntu at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?threadID=390323&tag=forums06;forum-threads

It only took a dozen posts to get down to work so I use that as an example for awhile. What you can do is try the delete in that bootable don't have to install CD.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks!

I booted with Ubuntu and tried to delete the file from ubuntu environment and it was successful. thank you Grin

- Collapse -
More power.

I'm glad when folk learn that method. There are many situations where that boot CD will save the day or make life a little easier.

Thanks for the report back.
Bob

CNET Forums