General discussion

Help. Need Windows ISOs to repair computers. Business.

Hello, I have started a computer repair business. I have worked for a couple companies as a computer technician. I am in college and need some cash so I decided to take my skills as a CompTIA certified technician and use them. My first problem. I don't have Windows discs. My last work (Microsoft Certified Partner) had all of the OSs burned to multiple discs. Any serial would work as long as it was legit and for that operating system. I don't want to pirate the ISOs because I don't want to install corrupted illegal software on other peoples computers. I want to be able to reinstall their software as long as the persons license is legit. What do I need to do? Can I use OEM discs? Do I need TechNET discs? Thank you. I need solutions for XP, and Vista too. Maybe Windows outreach could help me.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Help. Need Windows ISOs to repair computers. Business.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help. Need Windows ISOs to repair computers. Business.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
It's not that simple.

There are many versions of the Windows DVDs so what you are asking for is rarely possible. The customer must supply the right CD or DVD or must order them.

In fact you can't use retail CD/DVDs to repair many OEM installs. This lesson is one you may have to repeat to learn why.

So the answer is no. This rarely turns out well. You'll end up damaging more installs than fixing them if you do this to most pre-installed Windows.
Bob

- Collapse -
Its not for repairing.

I only need them for doing fresh installs. After formatting. Not to repair the operating system. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

- Collapse -
That's WORSE!

Those CD/DVDS can't use the CD-Key you find on your average PC. You moved from repairs to fresh installs which is like "from the frying pan to the fire."

OEM versions are different. You'll need restore media unless the owner wants to buy a new license and media.

Give yourself time to learn about this area. Many get bruised or sore about the Windows license systems. The one thing you don't want to do is tell some customer that you'll fix it and later get taken to small claims court over a fresh install that works for 28 days.
Bob

- Collapse -
Ok.

I will just make them purchase the software again.
Thanks Bob. I do have to question how my previous employer, Ribbit Computers in Wichita Kansas a multistore computer repair business was using the discs. They seem to work fine. I reinstalled hundreds of computer from all sorts of manufactures using the discs. Any idea?

- Collapse -
Then they are probably

Then they are probably installing illegal copies of Windows onto people's machines. Sadly, this practice is pretty common in the computer repair business.

- Collapse -
They don't need to purchase it again.

Restore media is a fraction of the cost of the full Windows license and media. I've seen shops sell full retail copies when a 20 or 30 buck restore media set was available.

Who knows why.

Also we are given opportunity to make such media when we get such machines. For the ONE DOLLAR of media you wonder why folk pass this up.
Bob

- Collapse -
Correction and for example.

I only need Windows discs to reinstall windows. That is what I meant by repair. Sorry. For example: Customer brings me computer. Computer has viruses. I tell her needs a fresh reinstall. She says ok. I say bring me your windows discs. She doesn't have them. Doesn't surprise me. She has a legit license stuck to the bottom of her computer. Can't I use that? But, where can I get the Windows discs that let me do that?

- Collapse -
What you'd need and just for XP

You're going to need a disk of the same volume label linked to the product ID code. Those that come as recovery disks from brand name outfits are a different matter. You can't use these in this case.

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=342

- Collapse -
Thank you.

Now, that I have that grey cloud gone from my mind I can continue with my business. Thanks for the advice and keeping out of trouble. Cheers!
I am tempted to report my last employer for using illegal copies of Windows but good people work there.

CNET Forums

Forum Info