Laptops forum

General discussion

HELP?????? Need the Best Desktop replacment

I currently own a powerful desktop, but I am thinking of upgrading to a laptop that would be as powerful as the desktop. I know powerful means I have to sacrifice weight, size and battery life, I am willing to do that because the laptop would not be following me everywhere I go, I am looking for smth with Intel Pen. 4, HT tech, unto 1 gig of ram, I am not a frequent gamer, but I occasionally play so I need a goop video card,

I am looking at the Hp ZD7000, (thanks to cnet), but I need more option. PLZ HELP ME
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP?????? Need the Best Desktop replacment
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP?????? Need the Best Desktop replacment
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: HELP?????? Need the Best Desktop replacment

In reply to: HELP?????? Need the Best Desktop replacment

I'd suggest you figure out what hardware you need. For example, do you want a 64 or 128 MB video card? What type of processor do you need? After you make your list, go to each manufacturer's web site, configure a notebook based on your list then compare price and warranty. That will often narrow it down and make choosing a notebook a little easier.

Collapse -
Re: HELP?????? Need the Best Desktop replacment

In reply to: Re: HELP?????? Need the Best Desktop replacment

As you have noted, the HPzd7000 has a great rating for this type of notebook (true desktop replacement) and it ranks highly on Cnet. Also, it has its own dedicated user forum which is a huge plus for after purchase networking and information/ solutions. It is zd7000forums.com. The HP can be configured with 128mb dedicated video memory and even media functions (use hard drive as DVR recorder, etc)

Toshiba has a similar Pentium 4M model.

You may want to consider the new Dell Pentium M (Centrino) 17" model just out (see their website) or the Sony Pentium M (Centrino) model as both of these get better battery life but still have the dedicated video (but they don't offer hyperthreading). The Dell model can be ordered with the 128mb dedicated video and the Hitachi 7200rpm hard drive.

If you order the HP make sure you order it custom to get all the best configuration and discounts. See zd7000forums.com or X1000forums.com if you are not aware of the $100 custom mail in rebate, Fatcash, APP student discount, EPP qualified employer discount, applicable short-term coupon codes, etc.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!