Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Help!!! My windows XP lost its connection to the internet!

by pinacoladaxb / June 1, 2008 2:18 PM PDT

I was in the middle of a very important project requiring a PC. All of a sudden, I find that I can't connect to the internet. This is really bad. I need this fixed immediately.

My windows xp is not wireless, so I checked the cables. The computer is connected to the router, and the router obviously works because I can access the computer from this mac. I looked at "Network Connections" and it looks like it's connected. One of the connections says:

Local Area Connection
Connected, Firewalled
SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Ad

I even connected the computer directly to the modem. I still had no luck. Any ideas? Again, this is urgent. Please help me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help!!! My windows XP lost its connection to the internet!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help!!! My windows XP lost its connection to the internet!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Network Connections"
by SultanEmerr / June 1, 2008 2:27 PM PDT

When you went to "Network Connections",
did you click on "Repair"?
Which software firewall are you using?

Collapse -
Re: "Network Connections"
by pinacoladaxb / June 1, 2008 2:31 PM PDT
In reply to: "Network Connections"

Yes. I tried repair. It didn't work. I am using Windows Firewall. Even when I disable it, I can't connect.

Collapse -
Network Diagnostics
by SultanEmerr / June 1, 2008 2:59 PM PDT
Collapse -
Idea
by pinacoladaxb / June 1, 2008 10:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Network Diagnostics

I think I know what the problem may be. About a month ago, I changed my ip to a static ip. Could this be it? I can't remember how to change it back.

Collapse -
Info
by pinacoladaxb / June 2, 2008 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Idea

To help, here's what the Command Prompt responds with when I tye "ipconfig/all":

Windows IP Configuration:

Host Name...........................: Bob
Primary Dns Siffix..................:
Node Type............................: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled..................: No
WINS Proxy Enabled................: No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-Specific DNS Suffix...:
Description.............................: SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address......................: 00-11-D8-3D-8F-DC
Dhcp Enabled..........................: No
IP Address..............................: 71.60.197.243
Subnet Mask...........................: 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway......................: 10.0.1.1
DNS Servers...........................: 10.0.1.1

Thanks for helping me!

Collapse -
Oops
by pinacoladaxb / June 2, 2008 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Info

Sorry, I didn't see your other post. When I type "ipconfig/release," it says:

Windows IP Configuration

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation.

Collapse -
See "Dhcp Enabled..........................: No"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2008 7:25 AM PDT

Why is that?

Collapse -
Re: See "Dhcp Enabled..........................: No"
by pinacoladaxb / June 2, 2008 7:39 AM PDT

I have ho idea what Dhcp even is. Should it be 'yes'? How can I enable it?

Collapse -
I looked it up
by pinacoladaxb / June 2, 2008 7:41 AM PDT

I looked up Dhcp, and it stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. Maybe the reason it says 'no' is I have a static ip address. It needs to be static because I host a server on my computer.

Collapse -
Looks incorrect to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2008 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: I looked it up

Looking at your IP configuration your choices look incorrect. This is your choice so I can't correct it but will note that to make your machine work again you can enable DHCP until you remember your setup numbers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.