Computer Help forum

General discussion

HELP My wife threatened via email, OLE is the subjet (GRIF)?

Help from anyone,
My wife is being harrased (threatened) from a scam artist who sent a counterfit check to her to cash and wire funds. She called him on his fraud and filed a report with the FBI. The perpetrator responded by saying he cannot be found (IP Address)? because of a term called "OLE". We do not understand this terminology and google brings up very technicle information about Object Linking and Embedding, which I don't understand.

Although we have contacted the police, I need to know more about this abreviation ASAP!

As always, when responding please assume I have the technical knowledge of a five year old.

Any Help?
Gordon

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP My wife threatened via email, OLE is the subjet (GRIF)?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP My wife threatened via email, OLE is the subjet (GRIF)?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Put the email address of the sender on your ...

In reply to: HELP My wife threatened via email, OLE is the subjet (GRIF)?

junk mail list and don't worry about it other than getting the police involved if you wish. The police can find where the emails originated even if the sender is using zombies for the mailing as every packet sent via Internet (or any network) indicates sender and recipient nodes but it takes court orders to get the information from ISPs so it usually isn't done unless authorities deem it serious enough to invest the money and man hours.

If you do opt to try having the authorities track for prosecution do not delete any of the emails but pass them on intact to the authorities.

The real question is why she responded to the "get rich quick" scam in the first place. Was it the Nigerian scam or one of the many newer ones such as winning the UK lottery or the Irish Sweepstakes?

Collapse -
Still don't completely understand

In reply to: Put the email address of the sender on your ...

Thank you responding to my post.

To answer your last question first. We recentlt puchased some new furniture and were selling the old stuff on Craig's List. The whole deal started as a legitmate purchase and it wasn't untill the last moments of the purchase that the deal went sour (counterfit check). That's when my wife called him on the fraud before falling prey to the scam. Appropriate that you would mention the Nigerian scam. This group was the first to respond to a post having to do with secret shopping and yes we got taken for $5,000. That's why we were able to pick up this fraud deal so fast. Please help spread the word on the Nigerians or any other scams out there, so good folks don't lose even worse than us (cleaned us out).
I don't understand the connection between "OLE's" and zombies, packets and ISP's
More help?
Gordon

Collapse -
Edward's Spot On..

In reply to: HELP My wife threatened via email, OLE is the subjet (GRIF)?

As mentioned by before, it's a scam. You've already made the authorities aware of the fraud and given them the appropriate information. Any further email messages should not be responded to.. Here, we tend to save/record them for further reference if needed. Our instructions to users is to simply delete them.. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Other than that, no further response is necessary..

I'm not sure why they referred to OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) except that it more appropriately should be called spoofing the IP address or email address of the sender. . OLE deals with the ability to use web-based controls for scripting purposes. Check Google for things like "OLE Automation" and "Object Linking and Embedding".. Generally, such scams don't need anything more than to falsify an email address and get someone to respond to the request for cash transferals.. As you've found, it's not wise to do so..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Edward and Grif

In reply to: Edward's Spot On..

Thanks again for responding to a call for help.

I understand the reference to OLE much better now thank you.

One post on Craig's list and we received three scam attempts, the first one we fell for. After that we were on the look out, which probably saved us from getting taken again.

Although the perpetrator did threaten my wife, the police and FBI informed us that these people are simply trying to scare her from alerting the authorities.

For anyone reading this thread, believe me, you want to believe so much, especially in this economy. But it's exactly the hurting wallets of us all that are driving the scammers. How they can look at themselves in the mirror each day eludes me.

But I do believe there are good people in the world. I have found many of them right here in these forums.

As always, all my thanks go out to you folks. Please keep the forums going!

Thank you Edward!

And yes Grif, it does help.

Gordon

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!