Computer Help forum

General discussion

Help - My Multimedia Keyboard Driver has stopped working.

by azureverde / May 30, 2010 4:30 AM PDT

Every morning I receive the message on my computer that the Multimedia
Keyboard Driver has stopped working: "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." This has been happening for about six months and windows has never notified me of anything. I have Vista on my computer. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help - My Multimedia Keyboard Driver has stopped working.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help - My Multimedia Keyboard Driver has stopped working.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First Question: Is Something Broke?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 30, 2010 4:35 AM PDT

Do you use the multimedia portion of the keyboard and if so, does it not function now? The error message doesn't mean much if nothing's broke.....

If you need the multimedia items on the keyboard, have you tried visiting the computer manufacturer's website, downloading their multimedia keyboard driver and installing it? Did it help?

And if the above steps doesn't help, have you tried a different keyboard yet?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
First Question: Is Something Broke?
by azureverde / June 2, 2010 4:37 AM PDT

Thank you for your assistance. I don't believe I use the multimedia portion of the keyboard, but I did try contacting Gateway in an attempt to reinstall the driver anyway. It was a disaster. They were no help at all and didn't seem to have any idea what to do. I will never buy another Gateway computer. Their tech support is useless. Thanks again for helping me.

Collapse -
Then To Stop The Message At Startup
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 2, 2010 5:17 AM PDT

You should be able to prevent the driver call in "msconfig".. Click on Start-Run, type msconfig, then click on OK. When the System Configuration Utility loads, click on the "Startup" tab.. When that opens, scroll through the items and check for the listing for your mulitmedia keyboard, then UNCHECK the box next to it. (I'm not sure which ones to uncheck on your computer but "mHotkey", "eBoard.exe" and "zHotKey" are common keyboard startup files for eMachines computers.) Click on Apply, then OK and restart the computer. After the compute restarts, you'll see a warning box about the System Configuration Utility and simply place a CHECK in the box that says: "Don't show this message again".

As long as the multimedia keyboard message is no longer appearing, then things should be fine. On the other hand, if you don't like the results of your changes, access "msconfig" again and place CHECK marks back in the boxes.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
multimedia keyboard drive has stopped working issue
by ladyno / July 17, 2010 6:35 AM PDT

I also have a Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit Gateway computor bot from Best Buy last June and started getting this error message about 6 mos later. I also bought an HP (deskjet F4400 series) printer about 3 months after the computer? Do you know if these facts (products) is/are related to this problem?

Also, after the above error message is presented, the following mesages "mhotkey" appears 3 times, then I delete them and the computer and printer both work EXCEPT I cannot use the HP Solutions
Center.

Collapse -
(NT) And You Uninstalled, Then Reinstalled The Printer Software?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 17, 2010 1:03 PM PDT
Collapse -
multimedia keyboard drivers has stopped working
by ladyno / July 17, 2010 2:56 PM PDT

Yes I did. also, I went into system devices as instructed (msconfig, etc) but neither the mhotkey nor multimedia keyboard driver (MKD) were listed.

I went to Gateway website and they have MKD but when I try to download I lose my internet connection. Gateway has a special website for downloads anddrivers, http://driverwhiz.com. Don't know if it works because can't find my registration #. I have contacted Gateway support for assistance, but they came back to me asking me to log on using the information I don'[t have and asked them to assist me with. So it doesn't appear they are going to be of much help logging in. I may have to call the headquarters Monday, etc. This is crazy.

Thanks anyway.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?