Computer Help forum

General discussion

HELP!!!! My HP laptop has a virus (trojan.frogexer!gen). .

by mediamiss / November 16, 2006 11:33 AM PST

Hi, I have a HP Laptop Pavilion zv6000, running windows xp. The virus showed up on my computer 3 weeks ago, I thought my virus subscription was up to date but it expired the day before the virus appeared. Due to my efforts, now I am unble to access my computer. It will boot up to the active recovery desktop, but I am unable to do anything after that, I get error after error for webroot spyware, system monitor, (some weird names).t, symantec advisor, ibm000.exe, etc. When I try to go to my control panel to remove the old virus program and put on the new one it does not do anything. Also when I F* to boot in safe mode, it also does not work, it take me right to the active desktop. I cannot get online either. If anyone has any insight on this please let me know. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Frustrated in Florida.....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP!!!! My HP laptop has a virus (trojan.frogexer!gen). .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP!!!! My HP laptop has a virus (trojan.frogexer!gen). .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
At this point...
by Edward ODaniel / November 16, 2006 1:11 PM PST

make use of the HP restore disks and return your computer to factory specs.

After doing that IMMEDIATELY install new and current AV software then apply all the XP updates.

Collapse -
Ed is right...
by Hagrun / November 17, 2006 5:11 AM PST

To add to Ed's post: IF you backup your data make sure that the media you backup your files to does not come in contact with any other PC. After you get your virus scanner installed you can then plug the device in and scan your files BEFORE you put them on the newly rebuilt computer.

Good luck!
-Nate

Collapse -
Thank U
by mediamiss / November 20, 2006 6:03 PM PST

Thanks for the assist, have to do this on the weekend. Happy Holidays!

Collapse -
Try...
by Willy / November 21, 2006 12:00 AM PST
In reply to: Thank U

If you have your orginal AV pgms. on a CD, try reloading the s/w., if bootable. In most cases, once you edit the bios to select booting from CD first, svae and exit, using your orginal *bootable* AV CD, during the initial process it will check to see if you're virus free then proceed to install. A cheap way to try to correctUse your known orginal AV directory to re-install). Another method I use, is using UBCD, from: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=218930&messageID=2325136

Download it and using the .ISO image burn to a friend's or another system a bootable CD. This CD if correct(OK) will offer some AV pgms. to test your system. Make sure if you use NTFS, that it(option) is enabled then test with some AV pgm. from menu. Again, you need to boot from CD first.

If possible and you can get into 'safe mode' then run your old AV pgms. even if old, will try to correct. Also, if you know what virus is affecting you, most AV support websites have specific tools to attack virus/trojans in simple form and can be used from a floppy.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.