Storage forum

General discussion

HELP!!! MY HEAD IS SPINNING!

by GUERILLA13 / January 20, 2006 8:35 AM PST

I have a 2003 inspiron 5100 notebook with a 2.4 p4 processor, 512 mb ram, 80 gb hitachi HD.lately, (after installing doom3 and half life2) i noticed my hard drive is at around 70%. these games run slow i thought about getting and external hard drive to store some of my data. OR more RAM to speed up the games. what would be better for more performance???

also, on the hard drives my head is spinning. I want around 200Gb. but should i buy an external drive or buy an internal drive with an external kit? my pc is a IDE Ultra ATA....do i get this? or a SATA? if so Do i get a SATA, SATA-100, SATA 300, etc. i know 7200 rpm is good, but do i need 8mb or 16 mb?????? IM LOST. I wish someone would TELL me what to buy. if you help i will be forever grateful.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP!!! MY HEAD IS SPINNING!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP!!! MY HEAD IS SPINNING!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Would more RAM help ? Sure !
by VAPCMD / January 20, 2006 10:33 AM PST

But the real issue is your're trying to run games on a laptop ! Most laptop LCDs don't refresh fast enough for good gaming; you're running out of disk space and laptop disk space is high cost relative to desktop hard diskspace and you don't have enough RAM.

So before investing another dollar in that underpowered unsuitable for gaming laptop....think hard about putting the $$ you'd spend upgrading it toward a separate modest gaming machine.

Tske a look here for some suggested systems

http://www.pcper.com/hwlb.php

Collapse -
great idea .....but
by GUERILLA13 / January 20, 2006 10:36 PM PST

Great suggestion. I want to avoid another computer. im not a serious gamer i just mess around with it sometimes. If the problem is the refresh rate....would getting a s-video cable and hooking up to a T.V. work?

also, i still want an external HDD for backups and storage. Im getting a combo 2.0/ ieee 1394 enclosure. as far as The interface on my computer is an Ultra-ATA 100. Do I need to get a HDD with this interface or should I go with SATA. will it even make a difference?

Collapse -
Suggest read article
by wade627 / January 21, 2006 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: great idea .....but

Coley suggest going with whatever interfacce your Pc has.I just read the article on adding a new Hard drive and EIDE is the most common out there.If yours motherboard doesnt support SATA you could get a add in sata card.Oh wait you may not have the room in a Labtop so just go with what your computer supports.As i uderstand the Drives are even faster than a couple years ago anyway at least 8mb cache.

Collapse -
thank you.........
by GUERILLA13 / January 21, 2006 6:34 AM PST
In reply to: Suggest read article

thx. i have a hitachi HDD 80 GB 5400 rmp. It says Ultra ATA ( i dont know if its an ultra ATA 1000 or not) Does that really matter?

I do have a PCI slot.

Collapse -
Look through the message in this forum...
by VAPCMD / January 21, 2006 9:56 AM PST
In reply to: great idea .....but

There are many many messages about buying (or building) externals in this forum. No need to continue repeating the answer for each and every individual who asks. As indicated previously more RAM will help too !

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?