iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Resolved Question

HELP! My Blackberry Contacts have appeared on my boss iphone

by StuartBUK / May 19, 2012 3:16 AM PDT

Hi all, please could someone help me with my dilema and explain to me how this has happened.

I have a Blackberry Curve which I have access to my yahoo email account and my company email account which I have as icons on it's desktop.

My boss recently lost his iPhone and has brought a brand new iphone 4. He has set up iCloud and he asked me to log onto the company website through his iphone for him which I did. When he went to make a call he accessed his contact groups and ALL of my personal contacts were in the new company website group!!!!! What is worse is that I cannot delete the group, and when I have deleted individual contacts, they reappear again!!!! What is even more annoying is that I don't know how they got on there in the first place as I did not authorise this transfer, so I do not know how to cancell it! BTW I logged onto iCloud to see if I could delete the group there but the group doesn't exist in iCloud, just on his phone - Help!!!

StuartBUK has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! My Blackberry Contacts have appeared on my boss iphone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! My Blackberry Contacts have appeared on my boss iphone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by StuartBUK

Collapse -
While the why it happened is a mystery.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2012 3:19 AM PDT

Those contacts can be local on the phone and why they don't show up on your cloud.

This sounds like a job for your COMPANY IT STAFFER to fix. Let them do the work.
Bob

Collapse -
FWIW
by Pepe7 / May 24, 2012 1:33 AM PDT

The vast majority of companies do not have 'IT Staff'. A single (mostly untrained) person applies the bandaids when needed, or looks for a quick solution online. My guess is, anyone mentioning 'a boss' probably has to deal with this problem on their own, hence posting here.

The OP was likely accidentally mirroring or combining personal contacts with the corporate contacts on their blackberry. When the 'sync' was made to access this pool of data (from the cloud, etc.) with the new iPhone 4, that's why it's accessible via the bosses phone too. It can't be deleted since it may be coming from some other backup service IMO.

Time to look at the 'mothership' and see what data/contacts need to be purged one by one. In addition to that, time to do a factory reset on the bosses iPhone, but don't yet sync/login to the cloud with it until you have properly purged the primary contacts database of your personal info.

If you provided more specifics as to which systems/blackberry desktop software/etc. your company is using ,perhaps we could dig deeper. You have some work on your end for sure to obtain this info.

Collapse -
Good point.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2012 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: FWIW

If companies are going to go without staff, they deserve to call it in and pay for support when they need it.

My bet is the info is on the phone now and not in the PC or cloud but it would be digging around on the devices first in my opinion.
Bob

Collapse -
You are probably right
by Pepe7 / May 24, 2012 6:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Good point.

Hopefully the OP is prepared for some serious digging Wink

I was thinking a standard 'delete contact' means it would be gone on an iPhone unless there was somehow a connection to something read from the cloud.

Collapse -
Thanks for all your comments
by StuartBUK / May 26, 2012 12:33 AM PDT
In reply to: FWIW

Thanks to everyone who has taken time to respond to my post. In answer to some of the questions we are a very small company (less than 10 people) and have no IT guru here I'm afraid. However I do believe the issue has been resolved. My bosses son managed to 'delete' the group by going into 'iTunes' (I never had a clue how or why my phone numbers were sent to iTunes from my Blackberry, all I can think is that I was logged onto our company yahoo email account when my boss also logged on and all our numbers were 'extracted' somehow. The irony is that because my boss had lost his phone, (hence the new iPhone) all his previous numbers were on iTunes so he just reset his new phone and uploaded his old numbers. I had no idea that iTunes had this feature as I do not posses an iPhone. Thanks again for all your comments. Stuart

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.