General discussion

Help MSIServer Missing folder (registry) imagepath

I have a huge problem that I have been working on for 2 days. I got hit with some viruses, about:blank and a hijacker I think. After running Ad-Aware and a lot of anti-viruses my registry was messed up so I ran hijackthis to erase the about:blank registry entries. I erased 3 about:blank entries and 2 other entries. I think I erased something important and I didn't back-up.

I can't run Microsoft Installer or repair it, even from the command line. I can't enable Messenger, COM+, Application Gateway when I open services. I can only look at services in standard mode (it is blank in extended mode). I've tried to install some fixes and the system says the Cryptographic Service isn't running, but I can't turn it on because MSI can't turn on.
From the command line I try to net start RPCSS< EventSystem, SENS, VSS, SWPRV, and all I get is 1058 and 1068 error messages. I feel like i'm in a catch-22. Please Help. System Resore won't work and says it has an error trying to enable/disable one or more drives. when i first got hit with the virus/hijacker and shut down the computer put up some message about C++, and when I start up in safe mode I see dozens of partitions leading to all sorts of drives, but I can't get online in safe mode, only normal mode.
Finally, secondary link buttons don't work, so I can't compose email messages to mail out all the programs on my system, and can't burn my programs because Com is disabled. I think the virus was called doomsday or something. Please help me.
I am running Windows XP professional.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Help MSIServer Missing folder (registry) imagepath
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help MSIServer Missing folder (registry) imagepath
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -

Wow, looks like you really got hit hard. Sad The best I can suggest with all the problems you're having right now with Windows is booting up the computer with the Windows cd *the REAL Windows cd* and choose the option to intall Windows, after this it will show the option to repair Windows. Basically what repair does is rewrite your Windows system folders without destroying any of your program files or personal data that is stored on the machine. If this doesn't work, it looks like you're going to have to make backups of all your data and completely reinstall Windows. Sad

- Collapse -
won't let me install xp. help

I tried to start off windows. I have the cd and when I click install window I get a window with a big red X and it says setup cannot continue because the version of windows on your computer is newer than the version on the cd. I even downloaded winsafe windows xp, and i get the same message. Is there a way to force the system to read the cd at start-up?

- Collapse -

First of all, are you sure this is the same cd you used to install the copy of Windows you have on your computer right now?

If so... this does happen sometimes when a copy of Windows has been updated... and there's really nothing you can do but reformat the hdd *i.e. erase all the data on it* and reinstall Windows. I hope you have everything backed up.

- Collapse -
trying to get a minimal system back

This is a different copy of the xp disk. I wasn't sure it made a difference. I finally got to the recovery console prompt at startup.
No help. I got Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
<windows root> \system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I can't go back to any restore points because certain services are shut off (i think this happened when i deleted the two registry keys).

Thanks for your responses. I am not prepared to give up on this system just yet. help if you can.

fred

- Collapse -
can I boot xp cd from command

please give me any advice on how to command the system to boot the xp cd at start-up or command.

i appreciate any help.

thanks
fred

- Collapse -

If you put the cd in the tray while the computer is on and then restart you should get a message on the restart asking you to press any key to boot from cd.

- Collapse -

After you boot from the cd, you'll see a blue screen saying "Windows Setup" at the top... wait for all the files to finish loading. You'll then get a screen saying "welcome to Windows setup" and that lists several options. The option you want to choose is "set up Windows"... then agree to the license agreement that comes up next. The next screen will show your hard drive that has Windows installed on it highlighted and two options. The one you want to choose is "repair the Windows installation". From there on just follow the on screen instructions. It will act like you're reinstalling Windows but don't worry, all your files and programs will be intact. Happy All it does is reinstall the Windows system files.

- Collapse -
trying to get a minimal system back

Sometimes it does make a difference if the copy you're using is a different version number of Win XP from the one you originally installed.

*shakes her head* Don't worry, I'm not giving up on it either. Wink

Are you getting this error message when you start the copy of Windows XP that you have on the computer now or when you start the computer with the Windows cd? I'm a little confused on where you are now....

Do you have a copy of the original Windows cd you used to install the copy of Windows you have on the computer now?

CNET Forums

Forum Info