Computer Help forum

General discussion

Help! MOTHERBOARD OR CPU BAD

by ndsherlock / April 13, 2008 2:06 AM PDT

I am putting together a new computer. I bought a new duo core 3.0 Wolfdale 8400 cpu. I installed it in a used Azus P5N32-E-SLI motherboard. Using a brand new Rosewill 750 watt power supply. When I turn the computer on the power fans and all other fans run for less than a second and then shut off. When I unplug the 8 pin 12 volt power plug from the motherboard the fans will all run. Of course nothing boots up but the fans run with the 8 pin unpluged.When I plug the 8 pin back in than it powers up only for a second again. If I pull the cpu and power up,all fans run even with the 8 pin plugged in. Don't have another cpu to try so need to make decision if I should send cpu back or to buy another motherboard. Does anyone know if is most likely a cpu or motherboard problem. By the way I tried a different power supply with the same results.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! MOTHERBOARD OR CPU BAD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! MOTHERBOARD OR CPU BAD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First question
by Jimmy Greystone / April 13, 2008 2:21 AM PDT

First question: Are you sure that motherboard will accept that CPU? Just because it fits into the socket is NOT a guarantee anything will work.

Collapse -
Cpu or motherobard
by ndsherlock / April 13, 2008 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: First question

YES. It is a socket 775 cpu and motherboard

Collapse -
Doesn't mean anything
by Jimmy Greystone / April 13, 2008 3:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Cpu or motherobard

Like I said, just because the socket is the same doesn't mean anything. There are boards made in the early days of AMD's Socket 939 that won't support any of the later dual core Athlon64 chips, even though they're also Socket 939.

Collapse -
(NT) Sure the BIOS supports that CPU ??
by VAPCMD / April 13, 2008 2:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
Needs to be flashed
by ndsherlock / April 13, 2008 2:31 AM PDT

Asus says to udate Bios for that 8400 cpu but can't load bios. Only runs for a second so no chance of even starting bios. But if it was the bios won't it power up more than a second. Does it even have enough time to look for bios?

Collapse -
You need a new up to date BIOS chip or an older
by VAPCMD / April 13, 2008 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Needs to be flashed

socket 775 CPU that you can install long enough to update the old BIOS to work with the new CPU. It's a more common problem than most think ...sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Keep us posted on the outcome.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
I ran into that issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2008 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Needs to be flashed

I had to find a supported CPU to get the board working just to install the new BIOS. In this case why not ask those that sold you this to fix it?

Collapse -
Lots of issues here.but doesn't the ultimate responsibility
by VAPCMD / April 13, 2008 4:30 AM PDT
In reply to: I ran into that issue.

for matching and compatibility reside with the builder/intergrator ?

I solved my problem the same ...just bought an inexpensive CPU flashed the BIOS and all was well. It was definitely a pain.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
I'll agree
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2008 7:09 AM PDT

But it takes a little banter like this to get the details up on the inspection table.

What many don't get is that while the motherboard may be new, it did sit in some cargo hold for months then the storage at some seller and will not be current for the BIOS.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks!
by ndsherlock / April 13, 2008 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll agree

Thanks Everyone for your suggestions. I just ordered a cheap 1.6 775 conroe cpu from New Egg that is on asus compatability list for my motherboard. Hope this does the trick.

Dave

Collapse -
(NT) Ok....keep us posted ...
by VAPCMD / April 13, 2008 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!
Collapse -
Exactly . . . nonetheless it's a dissappointing start when
by VAPCMD / April 13, 2008 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll agree

you're putting together a hot new system. You just never know for sure what version the BIOS is unless perhaps you pay for pretesting.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.