Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

HELP! Mom doesn't get it!

by ozziesgirl / November 24, 2006 12:18 PM PST

I am suppose to be buying my son an inexpensive MP3 player. I was looking at 1gb Sandisks and also Creative MuVo. Then I realized, I don't even know if they will work with Limewire or iTunes. Can you download music from wherever, or does it depend on the mp3 player?? Any opinions on either of these brands? I really appreciate any input. Jeannie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! Mom doesn't get it!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! Mom doesn't get it!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Limewire is almost always pirated material. Expect no answer
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2006 12:27 PM PST

On that.

As to iTunes you use that with iPods.

Hope this helps.

Please refrain from asking for help with pirated goods.

Bob

Collapse -
bob is right
by woohoo22 / November 24, 2006 12:46 PM PST

limewire = bad.

iTunes only works with iPod.

Other stores, like Napster, Rhapsody, and others, are PlaysForSure compatible. PlaysForSure music will play on anything with a PlaysForSure label on it.

Collapse -
You don't want to be sued
by ktreb / November 24, 2006 2:20 PM PST

Do not let your son download songs from Limewire or any other peer to peer filesharing site. Why? As Bob put it, it's almost always pirated material. By definition, it is illegal. And also, you may be sued by the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America). Usually, it doesn't get as far as a courtroom. It's usually settled out of court for several thousand dollars, which beats the cost of hiring a lawyer to fight the RIAA, with its deep pockets.

So do yourself and your wallet a favor. If your son must download, make sure he uses legal sites such as Rhapsody, Napster, eMusic, Audio Lunchbox, etc. And stay away from allofmp3.com. Even though you pay to download, it is a Russian site and its legality outside of Russia is in question.

Collapse -
WOW! Thank you, and now I need some brand advice.
by ozziesgirl / November 24, 2006 11:30 PM PST

I had NO idea about the Lime Wire thing. Thanks for that info! I'll nix that little project right now.

As to which particular mp3 player to buy, any advice on a decent little 1 gig unit? Creative Labs?? Sandisk? I am just going from what I have read on different reviews, but I find myself really confused and unsure. The Christmas budget isn't big with 5 kids, but I'd like to get him one that will last. Thanks to all - Jeannie

Collapse -
Have you looked at the new Shuffle?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2006 11:53 PM PST

It's not that pricey and many are considering it for such a gift.

Also it's pretty rugged.

Bob

Collapse -
I saw a 1G Sandisk Player at Circuit CIty for $39 yest
by wandalynn1 / November 25, 2006 12:48 AM PST

Don't know if it was a Black Friday special, doubt it as I was there in the late afternoon. There were several left. I have an older Sandisk Player, E140, and it's been very reliable. The one at CC was a newer model.

Collapse -
alright,....
by yahonathan / November 25, 2006 2:06 PM PST

first of all:

1. iTunes = iPods only
2. muVo and sandisk can take limewire but illegally if you are using limewire
3. if you don't want it illegally [and tons of trojans, spyware, and viruses] go through a music subscription such as yahoo! music, etc.

Collapse -
I'd stay away from shuffle
by lzermeno / November 26, 2006 1:29 AM PST

We own a few different mp3 players (ipod nano 4gb, sansa e270r 6gb, last year's sansa m200 1gb, and a RCA lyra). All have worked fine. The main reason I don't like the shuffle is the fact that you can't see any info on the song playing, nor can you pick the song you want to hear without skipping through all the songs. For the same price you can get more features with other brands.

Collapse -
LimeWire itself is Legal, but the downloading...
by stlouisarch89 / November 26, 2006 6:24 AM PST

is usually illegal. It depends on what he or she downloads....

Does CopyRight Protection Laws go into music thats 30 to 40years old?

^^Just wondering..

Collapse -
I would pass for any Creative Muvo's!
by stlouisarch89 / November 26, 2006 6:20 AM PST

I haven't had a great experience with my Creative Muvo Slim 512mb Version. It plays music wonderfully, but the interface is rather 20th Century, the firmware was messed up. Windows Media Player 11 had some problems on doing some syncing to the MuVo. I have also found out that I can not go over 96 MP3 Songs on my MuVo. Whatever I try to do, it always gives me an error when I try to add a music file when it has 96songs already in it. It has around 100mb left and yet it won't let me go any further unless I put some of my Album Wraps instead of single tracks... ARGH!! I would go for the Apple Ipod Nano, Creative Zen Products, or even Archos. Who knows, mine just might be broken!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?