Laptops forum

Question

Help me with laptop please

Hello everyone, first of all I'm new here.
I want to buy a decent laptop for gaming as a present for girl. I need one for games like Saints Row 4 and Assassin's Creed 4 so i got 2 laptops that looks fine but im not sure about their statistics, so my question is - Anyone of those should be fine to buy?

Processor : Core8482; i3 3120M
Processor: 2,5 GHz 2x
Ram 8giga ddr3
Graphic Card :AMD Radeon HD7670 1GB
Win 8.

The secon i was looking at is:
Processor : Core8482; i5-3230M 2,6
Processor: 2x 2,6
Ram 8gb
Graphic Card :GeForce GT 720M 2GB
Win 8.

well found a third one but he got 2x 1,4 processors ;/
Is anyone of those capable to hold most of new games including AC Black Flag and Saints row 4?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help me with laptop please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help me with laptop please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Both should run those games.

In reply to: Help me with laptop please

However I'm guessing you are not looking at the usual K buck gaming laptops like the y510p. If budget is an issue, look at the AMD A10 based laptops with pairs of ram.
Bob

Collapse -
Nice to know it bro,

In reply to: Both should run those games.

Cause im trying to buy from a Shop and mostly, problem lies in the fact, that laptops in good price got Graphic card, but dont have a good processor, or opposite, so i want to know, to not regret the money, and in my country prices are hilarious comparing to what laptop got. E.G laptop with 1,4 procesor 2x, but rest of parts are Really good! is way to expensive, comparing to those which i pasted up there. Problem lies in fact, that even if I would want it to, I cant change graphic cards, because I would buy a cheaper model and just change the card. Cant do that with those models so im very dependent on the graphic card that they possess; /
So you are defnitaly sure that I wont regret for those 2 games and many other?

Collapse -
Odd. For gaming it's always been about the GPU.

In reply to: Nice to know it bro,

I'm sure you've read the following.

"Our tests demonstrate fairly little difference between a $225 LGA 1155 Core i5-2500K and a $1000 LGA 2011 Core i7-3960X, even when three-way graphics card configurations are involved. It turns out that memory bandwidth and PCIe throughput don't hold back the performance of existing Sandy Bridge-based machines. "
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-4.html

And since you have a single GPU it won't take much.

Nod to the better GPU in this case. I can see GPU benchmarks at notebookcheck if you can't find a machine benchmark.
Bob

Collapse -
Was looking for some Laptops.

In reply to: Odd. For gaming it's always been about the GPU.

Well many people says to me, that they wont run them, because of graphic cards, so I'm Worried, but was searching and i found those:

Acer Aspire E1-571G i3-3120

Processor: Intel® Core™ i3 2gen 3120M 2,5 GHz 2x
Graphic Card: nVidia® GeForce GT 710M + Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024mb
Ram:4 GB, DDR3 1333 MHz

HP

Processor:Core™ i3 3120M 2,5 GHz 2x
Graphic Card:AMD Radeon HD7670 1GB 1024mb
Ram: 6 GB

Lenovo Essential G580AH B960

Processor: Intel® Pentium® B960 2,2 GHz 2x
Graphic Card:nVidia® GeForce 710M + Intel HD Graphics

Lenovo Essential G505s A8-5550

Processor:AMD® A-Series A8-5550M 2,1 - 3,1 GHz 4x
Graphic Card:AMD® Radeon HD 8570M + Radeon HD 8550G
Ram:4 GB, DDR3, 1333 MHz

Lenovo Essential G580 i3-3110M

Processor:Intel® Core™ i3 3gen 3110M 2,4 GHz 2x
Graphic Card:nVidia® GeForce 710M + Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Lenovo Essential G580 i5-3230
Processor:Intel® Core™ i5 3gen 3230M 2,6 - 3,2 GHz
Graphic card:nVidia® GeForce GT 635M + Intel® HD Graphics 4000 2024mb

Those are Laptops that I can afford, IF anyone of those is a 100% sure that will let me play Saints row 4 and Assasins creed black flag without any problems, without lags etc. just let me know.
Also would like to know if those that i pasted, wont run those games, what parts should i look for those games? better laptop procesors? or graphic cards? - Might be wrong here, but many people and forums says to NOT take Intel HD graphic.

Collapse -
Quite an odd claim.

In reply to: Was looking for some Laptops.

I'd eject the Pentium off the list then it's time for you to do your homework. Find each one on notebookcheck or similar and find a common game benchmark and pull it all together.

I know the A8 runs current games. My son has the slower model with a prior A8 so that's a gamer along with most others we've discussed. It's time for you to do the work.

I'd forget the Pentium and the 710 based GPUs.
Bob

Collapse -
Here's a machine that is at the office.

In reply to: Was looking for some Laptops.

Keep in mind your first item was not a bad gamer.
"Processor : Core8482; i3 3120M
Processor: 2,5 GHz 2x
Ram 8giga ddr3
Graphic Card :AMD Radeon HD7670 1GB
Win 8."

For a paltry 355 bucks the office nabbed this one.
http://www.woot.com/offers/toshiba-15-6-quad-core-laptop

It runs borderlands 2, Saints Row 4 and such just fine.
Bob

Collapse -
Seems to be nice

In reply to: Here's a machine that is at the office.

I compared the prices of the first one i pasted
Its like 130 dolars more that the one you pasted to me, also this toshiba satelite seems really nice
Will consider which one to choose and will get one of em, thanks for giving me advices and some info what is important: )

Collapse -
Answer
about gaming laptops

In reply to: Help me with laptop please

according to your requirement for a gaming laptops, I think a laptop with i5 processor is needed.
processor and ram can be the key point of a gaming laptop as they could offer and ensure that you can experience the games smoothly without kicked out.
basic configurations about a gaming laptops:
core i5 processor (at least 1.8GHz) OR A10 processor
6GB RAM
500GB storage is good but 750GB or more is better
in my opinion, a back-light keyboard is cool~~~
I would recommend a information center for you where you can find good cheap gaming laptops under 600, which are picked out from multiple similar products on the market.
I hope it will be helpful~~~~

Collapse -
Can my msi gt780x survive this years upcoming games?

In reply to: about gaming laptops

Laptop Specs

I5 -2410M 2.3ghz -2.9ghz
ddr3 8gig ram
ddr5 1.5vram Gtx560M

So far it can play the folllowing
battlefield 3 at ultra settings,
nba 2k14 at high settings,
Divinity Dragon Commander at high,
Crysis 3 at Medium Settings
Dirt 2 at high settings

I am still hoping it can at least plat the upcoming games for this year 2014 because im thinking also to get a new one

Thanks guys!

Collapse -
Keep in mind.

In reply to: Can my msi gt780x survive this years upcoming games?

Current games already exceed what today's rig can deliver. This is by design so that as new hardware arrives they don't have to issue new games right away.

How new are you to this industry?
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob!

In reply to: Keep in mind.

I just got interested into pc gaming last November.

I know the model of my laptop is old already and i just bought it from a good friend whom i know seldom uses it.

Im just worried that the processor and gpu's performance will lose grip when the big guns in the upcoming pc games arrive this year so i was thinking if it i should not overuse it like maximize my playing time to one hour.

Thanks again Bob for the helpful advise!

Collapse -
What is "overuse"?

In reply to: Thanks Bob!

Never head that before. Computers are not like car engines that you can go past the red line.

But in parting, the games will run fine. Just like current titles that may not be able to run with every feature turned on.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks again bob!

In reply to: What is "overuse"?

Well I'm just trying to be extra careful when it comes to running games too long which may lead to overheating or worst damage the laptop. Anyway everything's clear to me. Thank you for the helpful advise bob!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.