General discussion

Help me (Windows-Delayed Write Failed

This massage keeps popping up and how do I get rid of it. the message is: Windows was unable to save all the ..for the file C:\documents and settings\pnkhoma\local settings\temporary internet files\content.IES. The data has been lost. The erro may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. please try to save the file elsewhere" end of the message. How do i get lid of this so that it stops popping up again and again.

Pear

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Help me (Windows-Delayed Write Failed
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help me (Windows-Delayed Write Failed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: error message

When does this message popup? And when doesn't it?

Assuming it has to do with the browsing, I'd start in IE with Tools>Internet Options>General and delete all temporary Internet files. Any error message while deleting? No more error messages afterwards? Then the problem is solved. Otherwise, go to the settings (other button) and select another folder (make a new one somewhere) or choose never.

If everything fails install another browser (Firefox or Chrome) and use that as a temporary solution.

Kees

- Collapse -
You say "message keeps popping up" ...

but only offer one specific incidence and that was with Internet Explorer saving to the Temp Internet Files.

Does it happen at other times too?

Commonly such write errors are a result of many different possibilities from many different factors such as:
Cache settings
System Restore settings
Device drivers
Media error, drive failure
USB/Firewire host controllers
Drive overheating
Mis-configured BIOS settings
Ultra Direct Memory Access (UDMA) mis-configuration
Unmatched cables
Faulty cables
Memory parity conflict
Power management drivers

If it isn't a HARDWARE problem this MS KB article generally takes care of the problem -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174 (You receive an error message when you save or move documents in Windows XP: "Delayed Write Failed" - Do not concern yourself that this indicates only Win XP as it is the same cure for both earlier and later editions of Windows - just the exact steps are different.

In case it is a problem with the hard drive you should consider booting to Safge Mode with Command Prompt and running the command chkdsk /r for each hard drive or partition.

CNET Forums

Forum Info