PC Hardware forum

Resolved Question

Help me to get back my data from the backup drive!

by 32Catharine54er / June 8, 2013 4:10 PM PDT

Hello! I have a WD external hard drive. It works well all the time. However, to my surprise, I could not open it yesterday. It only displayed this message: "The drive is not formatted. Do you want to format it?" I don't know what is going on here. Is it failed or corrupted? Is it still possible for me to access the contained pictures, videos and documents? I know I should have backed up all of them. But, this drive is my backup drive. Help please!

32Catharine54er has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help me to get back my data from the backup drive!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help me to get back my data from the backup drive!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by 32Catharine54er

Collapse -
Learn to recover your data.
by Robinhero9304 / June 17, 2013 4:45 PM PDT

I am sorry! I am not sure whether it is failed because of your poor information.
But, that also indicates that your drive and inner data may be still recoverable.

In fact, "not formatted error" message is often caused by many reasons, such as hard drive damages, virus attack and even computer operating system problems, etc. So, I hope your problem is not so serious.
Plunge this SD card to your computer and download a data recovery program to take a chance.

Nowadays, many data recovery programs are designed for the user to process their inaccessible data recovery programs. So, you also could select some faithful drive data recovery freeware, such as Recuva, TestDisk and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc.

Just search on the internet and download a free one.

Note: Before you begin to restore your data, you'd batter not save anything new on this drive in case of data loss.

After data recovery process, you should back up your retrieved data on another computer and format this drive to make it work again.

Collapse -
Thank you for your detailed explaination.
by 32Catharine54er / June 18, 2013 4:57 PM PDT

Thanks for your detailed expatiation.
Now, I have tried your mentioned data recovery freeware and retrieved all of my wanted data back.
Thank you very much!
Have a nice day!

Collapse -
Answer
Head to...
by Willy / June 8, 2013 11:40 PM PDT

Please goto the "Storage forum" find the sticky post. The uppermost post on that forum has much info and required details in *possible* rescue of your data. understand, any attempts may further reduce recovery of data, the choice is yours. Also, I like to part that any critical data should be saved to CD/DVD/BD discs as a more safe storage method. Practically all ext. storage media will fail in some way sooner or later, even if yours is a back-up it shouldn't be the sole backup, you now understand why. good luck

http://forums.cnet.com/storage-forum/

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
If it's really your BACKUP meaning there is a copy of the
by VAPCMD / June 9, 2013 12:33 AM PDT

data available elsewhere, then you should be able to format the external and later copy the DATA to it.

Otherwise I'd have to say data on the EXTERNAL wasn't BACKUP.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Answer
Thank you for your replies.
by 32Catharine54er / June 18, 2013 4:55 PM PDT

Thank you for your replies.
Your replies helped a lot.
Now, I have restored all of my wanted data back!
Thank you!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?