TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Help me settle for 120hz please!!!

by tsdiller / December 24, 2010 2:42 AM PST

I have been without a TV for a couple months now because I keep trying to save for a240hz or the 480 hz Vizio. I keep getting held back by unexpected bills! Do you think I am really going to notice the difference? I dont watch sports . All I watch is documentries and stuff on the travel channel and some action movies. Be honest with me someone and tell me that either I have been smart by holding out or that I am idiot for putting myself through this. I have $1200 saved and have $1000 on a CC but for just a few hundred more dollars I am in the new Vizio 55" #D tv that I dont care about the #D but it has a 480hz tru LED screen that in my opinion is as good as the 9000 series Samsung. I compared both at the electronics show and the Vizio kicks but! PLease help me. My TV is very important to me. I have my family and then my TV and not in that order all the Time. Just kidding but my TV is important. I do have a 2 yr old plasma 50" by Samsung but I let my kid have it so I would be more pressed to get a new TV and its backfired on me. HELP!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help me settle for 120hz please!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help me settle for 120hz please!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Trust me, you will not see a difference . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 24, 2010 3:41 AM PST

The human eye cannot see the difference in film at 24 frames per second. Why would we be able to see frame/refresh rate of 240/second? Much less 480!! 3D works at 240.

Collapse -
Ooops, got ahead of myself . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 24, 2010 3:42 AM PST

Same reasoning for the 120.

Collapse -
There are reasons for each number.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2010 4:02 AM PST

A member kindly wrote why 120. It has to do with the 24 number from "film rate."

At 120 you get film rate and 60 support. It has nothing to do with 120 content support!

The decay time of the LCD "cell" is fixed. We can't change that but we can run the rate at higher multiples of the base values of 24, 30 and 60 so the first number that works is... 120.

For 3D we need a multiple of 48 and 120 so that's 240.

I know I shortened this far too much and hope the really short version tells you why there are higher rates with no content to fill them!
Bob

Collapse -
240Hz = Horrible TV experience
by Dan Filice / December 24, 2010 2:16 PM PST

Do yourself a favor and do not get a 240Hz TV...unless you want most everything to look like a soap opera shot on a cheap video camera. Have you actually seen in person a 240hz TV? Some people don't notice this effect, but I do and so do my sons. You can get a Panasonic S-Series Plasma 1080p 50" TV for $900.00 that will give a great TV viewing experience, much better than that Vizio.

Collapse -
(NT) Did you read the discussions about SOAP OPERA MODE?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2010 4:33 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?