PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Help me Please re: USB devices

by rurbina / July 27, 2007 2:58 PM PDT

I have a presario desktop with Windows XP. I bought a new printer after my old one broke. Which wasnt that old either. My problem is this. I went to install the new printer (with the cd that came with it) and this message comes up right at the beginning of the install:
USB Device Not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it. When I go to look up in my hardware it says Unknown device. So I call the printer co for tech support they dont know what it is, you can tell, they say call the maker of your desktop. Well i havent been able to reach HP. So, I have three different USB cables and try them all thinking ok, the one that just worked on my other printer for some reason quit. Well, no none of the three cables work. They all come up with the same message. I went to HP to look up troubleshooting for this, but it seemed to complicated and i didnt want to start messing with stuff im not sure of. So, can anyone help me? Does anyone know why or what this means. I know not all three of my USB cables are bad. For some reason my computer is not recognizing something. Help, please. I really want to keep this printer otherwise I am going to get rid of it. Thank you. Rita.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help me Please re: USB devices
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help me Please re: USB devices
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
USB Devices
by Anurag-The Helper / July 27, 2007 4:01 PM PDT

Dear Rita,
If your windows says "USB Device Not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it" after you connect a printer, then probably you have broken down your printer. If might be due to cable deffect but you have exchanged it thrice and i believe all the cables are not defective. So make sure that you have purchased your printer from a reliable source. you can try checking the printer in any other (might be your friend's) computer to make sure that the defect is of your printer. Then you can claim printer's defect. I suggest you to exchange th eprinter.

Collapse -
Some suggestions
by wwittmeyer / July 27, 2007 4:11 PM PDT

First, disconnect your printer from the computer.

Next, go to Device Manager and check to see if there is an exclamation mark associated with one or more of your USB ports. If so, delete/remove them. Restart your computer. Windows will re-install the ports you removed. (Don't connect the printer yet.)

Go to the printer manufacturer's website and download the latest driver for that model (for XP).

Install the driver. You should be prompted at some point to connect the printer. If not, turn the computer off, connect the printer, and restart the computer. (Be sure the power supply to the printer is also connected.)

Good luck.

Collapse -
Problem solved. (and locking discussion)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2007 12:13 AM PDT

From the OP:

Can you please remove my post as I have fixed the problem. My remove hardware safely was stuck somehow and it thought there was something left in there when it wasn't. OR better yet, I probably removed my thumb drive before it was safe to do so and it was thinking it was still there. Anyway, thank you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!