TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Help me pick a TV... 'cause it's hard!

by toms.singlemalts / July 18, 2008 2:45 PM PDT

Hi, everyone. So, I've narrowed my choices down to a Samsung LN40A650 for an LCD and the Panasonic TH-42PZ85U for a plasma. My problem is, I can't decide between LCD or plasma. I've read up about some pros and cons of each, but any suggestions or advice from you guys would be great.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help me pick a TV... 'cause it's hard!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help me pick a TV... 'cause it's hard!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I did...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2008 11:47 PM PDT

I went shopping to see each unit I was looking at. That helped.

Collapse -
by CyclonicKitten / July 19, 2008 12:15 AM PDT

Panasonic makes a amazing plasma. But so far i have not seen anything to match the clarity or quality of the 650 series. Unbelievable television. I would HIGHLY recommend the 650. If it were me i wouldnt even hesitate to get it.

Collapse -
samsung LCDs
by dinkledort / July 19, 2008 2:14 AM PDT

FYI, the new Samsungs including the LN40A650 eliminate one of the main advantages on LCD in my book - lack of glare. The new Samsungs have a screen finish as glossy as glass whereas up until recently all LCD's have had a mat finish that didn't reflect much. The Sony's still do. That said, if you're considering a plasma it might not be an issue for you, because they're all glossy. If it will be in a basement or somewhere without a lot of light than I can see how it wouldn't matter.

Also you should see the red stripes on the Samsung in person. Just my opinion but I'm not a fan.

You should definitely compare them in a showroom if you haven't already.

Collapse -
Panasonic
by ns387241 / July 20, 2008 12:56 PM PDT

The plasma (Panasonic or Pioneer) has always been the TV of choice for me and many others, as it is ideal for almost every environment, has excellent color, contrast, depth, durability, reliability, warranty coverage, response time, lifespan, and viewing angle. All of these the Panasonic has over the Samsung 650LCD.

Heres why: Because the Plasma can create a deeper level of black than any backlit LCD, it has greater contrast ability, thus providing potential for more colors and greater color depth. Field of depth is improved by the Video processor inside the Panasoni 85 series. Panasonic Plasmas are rated for 100,000hrs of life, versus that of the Samsung: 60,000hrs. This translated to about 35 years fr the plasma (7hrs/day, 7days/week) ad 23 for the LCD (same circumstances). Panasonic plasmas off the Plasma Concierge Warranty sandard with purchase. This means in-home coverage. NO other manufacturer's warranty offers that kind of service. LCDTV's are comprised o a board of 6 million twisting liquid crystals (3 x-tals per pixel). The time it takes for these x-tals to twist from open-to-close represents the response time of the set. A longer response time indicates more smearing and blur when viewing moving images (i.e. television). Plasmas have no response time, making them perfect for viewing movin material, such as sports, video games, Cable TV, etc.

As far as reliability goes, Panasonic tralis Pioneer (The most reliable sets) very closely, dispite costing thousands less, making i an excellent choice for a reliable set. Samsung has a slightly different track record. Many people on this forum recall that I used to work for Best Buy Corporate. I, more than anyone else, intimately know the reliability of all television sets currently sold at Best Buy. I can tell you that the Samsung fares better than in-house brands, such as Dynex and Insignia, but it isn't far off. Viewing angle is as simple as this: with an LCD you loose contrast and color wen yo go off to the side, with a Plasma, you do not.

I was never a big fan of Samsung. I hated how the reds were pink and the greens flourescent. Even after a professional calibration their contrast was much lower than their competitors (i.e. Sony, LG, Panasonic), their contrast, which they advertise to be so high (as ludicrious as 500,000:1). I disliked ther potential for image persistance and their unreliability. Even with their new sets, I find myself walking down the open-box isle of my local BB and finding it plagued with Samsung 450, 550, and 650 series LCDs (typically 32-46"). This brand is not one I would choose for an average consumer to deal with.

To conclude, go with the Panasonic TH-85U series, you will not be disappointed.

Collapse -
Plasma fan
by gabereyes / July 21, 2008 2:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Panasonic

I do home theater installation and I get the chance to see every make and model in customers home, with diffrent lighting and diffrent sources.

I have yet to see a LCD tv the I like over a plasma, I would take a cheap 720p LG or panasonic plasma over the top LCD anyday, LCD's do look very good in the store playing the bright colorfull in store loops, but in the home its a diffrent animal, they look to bright and and granny, and motion always look off.

Plasma also has a great advantage, it is the closest type of TV to the old CRT tube type, and CRT monitors are used for playback, editing, and the only type of TV used in broadcasting standards, making plasma the closest type of TV you can get to the broadcasting NTSC or ATSC standard.

good luck
gabe

Collapse -
GO WITH THE PANASONIC PLASMA..............AVOID "LG'S" LIKE
by Riverledge / July 23, 2008 3:22 PM PDT

POISON. I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY DECENT LG; PLASMA OR DSL.......

I REALLY COULDN'T BELIEVE HOW AWEFUL THEY REALLY LOOKED!

P.S. AVOID THEIR WASHER/DRYERS AND FRIGs TOO!!!

You've been alerted.........

My best,

Riverledge.

Collapse -
Never Sony again
by nomoresony / July 29, 2008 10:38 PM PDT

Just bought sony kdlw4150, w/120 mhz blah blah. tv broke on first day,,, a week to come out and replace a video card in a brand new tv(#$^%(#&*). sony warranty is for is repair only and they can use refurb parts or aftermarket, but on a Brand new tv?? I can see it if I had it for 9 months, but a brand new tv?. I will never ever buy another sony product again. be fair warned. its all Samsung for lcd's or pioneer/panasonic for plasmas period.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.