Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

help me make it work.. the pc.. plz:)

i recently put back together a dell dimension 4100. i put a clean win98se on it.

i want to use it for games (they will run on 98) nagunz, igunz, hero online(until i find out if its any good),

i tried to use updated drivers from all over (for video card, sound card, motherboard) then was told to use only the ones from the dell website.

i plan on doing this after another clean install since i have many files on this computer now which will take too much time to find and delete.

however i am trying to get the cd burner working so that i can burn a few things to disk so i dont have to wait for the downloads again

it is a HP CD-Writer Plus 8100i that had been put in here, when i got to hp site for drivers i find it hard to tell which files to use (do i have to wait for a mailed cd??) for hp drivers?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help me make it work.. the pc.. plz:)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help me make it work.. the pc.. plz:)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Aha. CD writers have no drivers.

In reply to: help me make it work.. the pc.. plz:)

That could be the problem. Instead we use CD recording software such as CDBURNERXP (google.com).

I can see why you had an issue there.

Bob

Collapse -
reply to: Aha. CD writers have no drivers.

In reply to: Aha. CD writers have no drivers.

in that case can i just download any free cd record write software to use? win98se fat32 right? no.. ?..

Collapse -
reply to: reply to: Aha. CD writers have no drivers.

In reply to: reply to: Aha. CD writers have no drivers.

can someone recommend a cdwriter program for win98se? ?

Collapse -
I already did reccomend one.

In reply to: reply to: reply to: Aha. CD writers have no drivers.

And yes it works with 98. I can only guess you didn't look at it.

Bob

Collapse -
probably didnt look long enough

In reply to: I already did reccomend one.

thnx i have already started reformatting initial and a drive i yanked out of a tivo, i will use that program when the sys is runnin again, maybe you could help w/ something else..

at dell dimension 4100 win 98 drivers site i was wondering which of these drivers i should install? i am gonna pick and choose until somebody can give me better directions if any suggestions, they would be much appreciated.

thnx again

Collapse -
Here's my recipe.

In reply to: probably didnt look long enough

1. Install the OS.
2. Use the driver cd from the machine.
3. Failing item 2 (lost it?) then I install motherboard drivers, then video, audio and "others."

Bob

Collapse -
reply to: Here's my recipe.

In reply to: Here's my recipe.

i am following recipe 2. i never had the driver set from manufact. my friend gave me this pc. thank you for your advice, this was the first time ive ever posted anything in a forum.. it has helped alot .. net is amazing... building pcs is fun...

if u r interested = my original problem was that:

tho i used intel chipset driver from a game site, video, sound, from nvidia and creative; directx and media player 9 from microsoft sites
(which all seemed to work fine)
when i put a cd into the cddvd rom drive with speakers connected to 1/8" sound card jack i could:
get sound from system/accessories/entertainment/cdplayer

but not win media player 9 (from microsoft website)

not in NAGunz: The Duel free mmo3rdps

not in hero online mmorpg
any ideas? im new to actually being involved with pcs..

Collapse -
That's supposed to happen.

In reply to: reply to: Here's my recipe.

The jack on the CDROM drive is not capable of output from the sound card.

Hope this helps you get over that.

Bob

Collapse -
reply to: That's supposed to happen.

In reply to: That's supposed to happen.

im sorry misunderstanding, the speakers are plugged directly into the sound card 1/8" out jack not the cdrom headphone jack.. thnx for your advice i am going to do a complete reinstall of win98se then use dell site for chipset then video, then NIC card( have to find out what this is tho) then audio then modem then updates for someone elses suggestion i will make an everest report if you are interested can post it if youd like

thnx again for your help
im new at building pcs and posting..

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.