Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Help me learn about router speeds?

by hrader / August 16, 2006 3:55 PM PDT

I have Bellsouth DSL and I believe my speed is 256 Kbps/128 Kbps. I know it's slow. I have a netgear 802.11b wireless router. When I use the wireless connection, the speed is VERY slow. I can't even open some web sites. When I plug directly into the ethernet the speed is fine. Will upgrading to a 802.11g router improve my wireless speed or would I need to upgrade my DSL service? The tech support at bellsouth said a router upgrade may not help, saying that since my ISP speed is only 267 Kbps, I am not using the full capability of my 802.11b (11 mbps) router. I am hoping that switching to a 802.11 g router will solve my problems. I am so confused, please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help me learn about router speeds?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help me learn about router speeds?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'll write no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2006 10:37 PM PDT

So little is known about your setup and components that it might not be the router but something else. Your choice to share the complete picture.

Bob

PS. I have a 802.11b limited laptop and it's great. So it's not the 802.11b speed to the internet that's the issue there.

Collapse -
I have an interest here as well
by shmay7 / August 17, 2006 1:52 PM PDT

I have just begun to research a problem for my aunt. She has a 4 month old Toshiba laptop (that's all the info I have until next week). I do not have any details as to the actual setup. She does have hi-speed through Comcast and a 2.4ghz 802.11g router. However, her internet speeds are painfully slow, and quite often, standard pages will not load. I also have not determined what her "hi-speed" entails. The one thing that I did do is brought her laptop to my house, which is connected with Quest broadband, and the speed was incredible. So my deduction is that the problem lies with the router or her service.

With limited information from myself and the prior poster, is it possible that a 256 kbps/128 kbps speed would be the factor in providing this dreadful service? It seems to me that that would be enough power for normal pages to load (with nothing else significant running on the computer).

I will retieve more information next week and seek detailed answers, after providing detailed information.

Thank you.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!