Laptops forum

General discussion

Help me in my notebook selection

by nyc20005 / April 8, 2007 9:07 AM PDT

Dear all,

Appreciate if you can help me purchase the right notebook.

Stuff I got to have:

Screen: 15.4. Should be good enough to watch movies.

Ram: 2Gig

OS: XP Pro or Vista Business. Vista worries me for (1) it's untested (2) other software vendors will need time to support their stuff on vista.

Processor: 1.6GHz should be fine I think but need advise. Gurus, pls advise on Intel Core Duo vs AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual Core.

HDD: I'll install Ubuntu on this. Will 120G be enough?

Sound: OK is fine for me.

Battery: NA, cos I'm going to pay extra for batteries.

Price: $900-1200.

Biggest advise I need is on the company/mode/make I should go for. I want something reliable as I'm not going to go for warrant and stuff. Any configuration wont save me if the touchpad is sticky, keypad is not responsive. Or worse! if the keypad starts to fade. All in all I'm looking for 2-3 yrs of worry-free use.

PLEASE PLEASE DROP IN YOUR COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS, ANECDOTES, YOUR EXPERIENCE, YOUR FRIENDS EXPERIENCE ON DIFF MODELS, MAKE ETC.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help me in my notebook selection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help me in my notebook selection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Many manodels meet your requirements
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / April 10, 2007 2:28 AM PDT

2 GB of RAM is confortable on Vista.

Vista is nice. I have it in dual boot with XP. Very nice OS. But yes, it's true, software vendors will need time to build their softwares for Vista.

Go with Intel. If you can wait a month or so, wait for the Santa Rosa Centrino Platform, the successor of the present NAPA platform. On this new platform : improvement of performances and better battery life. AMD could be a good platform, but it heats more, has a worst battery life and less performances.

For the HDD, it is your decision. Me, with 80 GB, I'm correct, but I have a 250 GB USB external HDD so I don't see the reason to pay more for an internal HDD.

Look at Dell ( E1505, I own this model ), HP, Toshiba, Lenovo, Asus. Stay away from Acer ( poor quality and support ).

Collapse -
Some things to consider
by Igiveup2 / April 10, 2007 2:59 PM PDT

XP Pro is available on Lenovos and Toshiba Tecras in your price range. It is also available on business class Dells (more $). 2 GB RAM is a good idea for Vista, but if you get an XP system you might not need it unless you're into some monster apps. Settling on 1 GB with XP might open up more options if you're dealing with a price ceiling. You can upgrade RAM later if need be.

I agree with Ghost26 that the intel Core 2 Duo CPU is the way to go right now.

There are apparently some connectivity and audio interference issues with both the low-end Broadcom wireless card on some Lenovos and the Dell 1390 wireless card. Go with the Intel Pro-wireless 3945 card.

If you don't mind Vista Business, there are some interesting options in the Toshiba Satellite series. The A135-S4488 has Vista Business, all your gotta haves, a 1.66 GHz C2D processor, and 220 GB storage on twin HDDs. I have the same hardware with Vista Home Premium. Or you could step down to 180 GB on twin HDDs and to a 1.60 GHz C2D CPU with the A135-S4478. I am also considering a dual boot with either Linspire/Freespire or Ubuntu. The twin HDD feature seems well suited to setting up twin operating systems and that was a factor in my decision.

Interesting that you noted the importance of keyboard and touchpad performance/quality. Both were factors in my selection of Toshiba. The keyboard feels tighter than on competitive models (also good on Lenovo) and the touchpad action is very smooth and accurate at the fastest settings. The default touchpad settings were ridiculous, but with the right tweaking it can't be beat.

Happy hunting. The websites await you.

Collapse -
VGNFE880E/H
by nmilam / April 13, 2007 7:32 AM PDT

I just purchased this Sony Vaio and it's a dream. It has all of the specs you mentioned plus some. It's listed on the Sony site for $1299.00 but you can buy it for $100 to $200 less if you check out pricegrabber.com. It's currently on sale at Circuit City too. The reviews I read about it at the Amazon site helped to sell it for me. Also customer support for Sony is ranked #1 right now by Smart Computing Magazine! See the links below:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=M5SHoAlhGrSDpk9_1zGNq0ZxdO9RNbvWZeY=?CategoryName=&ProductSKU=VGNFE880E%2fH&TabName=specs&var2=

And review of #1 ranking:

http://www.learningcenter.sony.us/assets/itpd/promos/smart_computing/

-N

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.