TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Help me identify this!

by Innoxious / February 4, 2014 11:46 AM PST

Got my first car second hand in New Zealand yay!
Found this Panasonic item on the dash and not sure what it does. Scanned for bluetooth devices on my phone in hopes of it being a bluetooth module but no luck.
Any feedback is appreciated,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help me identify this!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help me identify this!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Panasonic device
by pgc3 / February 4, 2014 12:29 PM PST
In reply to: Help me identify this!

Does it have a USB plug on the end? I am thinking it could be a Bluetooth adapter.

Collapse -
B/T Adapter
by pgc3 / February 4, 2014 1:28 PM PST

By device I meant B/T adapter..but that is just a guess, I have seen some adapters, USB input, that were very similar to what your pic shows. Oh yeah, HI KIWI!!!! Hope all is well down under...and it appears as if you got yourself a pretty cool ride, a Beemer, way to go!!!

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply but...
by Innoxious / February 4, 2014 3:06 PM PST
In reply to: B/T Adapter

No it is just the box and there a is a single cable that runs from the back of this box, follows the edge of the windshield towards the drivers side and tunnels down into the dashboard.

I do believe it is an audio component because Panasonic does not seem to make other car products such as a car alarm. Similarly it's position in he center of the dash seems like some wireless interface. If anyone else has another guess before I attempt to tear down my dash, that would be nice :)<div>
Oh and it's a 3 door 318ti, I love it Grin

Cheers pgc3

Collapse -
by pgc3 / February 4, 2014 3:22 PM PST

Panasonic DOES make Bluetooth adapters and a B/T adapter is wireless to devices such as cell phones and other hand held devices. But if the BMW is reasonably new it likely has Bluetooth capability built in to the audio/gps system etc. Many newer vehicles have these types of set ups, BMW and many more. Generally external b/t devices are powered, plugged into an accessory d/c port, similar to cigarette lighter but some input to a USB port in some cases, that is not the norm. Whatever you have must be hard wired somewhere but I tend to agree with you, I have a feeling it could be audio related. Be careful tearing into it though, don't screw it up, that is a SWEET RIDE!!!!! Cheers back at you..BTW when you figure it out be sure to post something, I'm pretty curious at this point.

Collapse -
by Innoxious / February 4, 2014 3:34 PM PST
In reply to: Huh!

Oh I meant, Panasonic doesn't seem to make a unit mounted on a dashboard, that size e.g. car alarm, if it was not a audio unit. It is bothering me that I do not know either! I just posted an update, let me know if you find something bro!

Thanks again Grin

Collapse -
by Innoxious / February 4, 2014 3:31 PM PST

Here is a photo of the holder, which the box sits on top of and held via adhesive.
This is the single wire coming from the back of the unit.
Asked my father about it, says it could possibly be a GPS unit for locating the vehicles location.
After a Google search, found this, which is a Panasonic car GPS antenna, mounted to the dashboard to improve signal strength. Similarly Google searching "Panasonic GPS antenna" did not show results of the exact unit I have.

It probably is a GPS antenna to be honest. But any confirmation from anyone that has a similar unit would be helpful. Thanks again!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?