HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Question

HELP ME GET RID OF CHROMIUM OS!!

by Robin90_90 / June 10, 2013 8:57 AM PDT

Hi guys. I wanted to try out Chromium OS and downloaded it on my PC. But I am not quite satisfied with it and want to uninstall it now. But it doesn't seem to work! I have tried Windows recovery CD and flash drive but it keeps taking med back to chromium. Can someone please guide me through how I can get rid of the Chromium and return to Windows???

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP ME GET RID OF CHROMIUM OS!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP ME GET RID OF CHROMIUM OS!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Is this Windows 8?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2013 10:14 AM PDT

Why I asked is I've tried 2 laptops so far with the restore system for Windows 8 that used a CD/DVD and the memory stick and my report is -> ALL FAILED to restore.

I've alerted the big kahuna here and hope for a CNET investigation.
Bob

Collapse -
No it's windows vista
by Robin90_90 / June 10, 2013 8:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Is this Windows 8?

No it's windows vista. The problem is that the chromium OS doesn't allow me to install or store anything at all.

Collapse -
Re: recovery CD doesn't work
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 10, 2013 8:58 PM PDT
In reply to: No it's windows vista

Assuming you mean a DVD (Windows Vista doesn't fit on a CD) the four possible causes for failing to boot from it are:
1. The drive has gone south. Solution: replace it.
2. The drive needs head cleaning. Solution: clean the heads.
3. The disc isn't bootable. Solution: use a bootable disc.
4. The BIOS isn't set to boot from the disc as first boot device. Solution: set it in the BIOS setup.

It's up to you to find out which of the 4 applies.

Kees

Collapse -
Tried all of them
by Robin90_90 / June 10, 2013 9:14 PM PDT

Hi. Thank you for your answer.
Yes, it's a DVD and I've tried all of the solutions. Changed the boot order and tried with a flash drive with Win 8 in it. But for some reason I keep going back to Chromium. Really frustrating... Is my last solution to replace the internal harddrive with another than?

Collapse -
Re: tried all
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 10, 2013 9:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Tried all of them

As an experiment, disconnect the hard drive and see if it boots from the DVD then. Of course, you can't do anything useful then, but just suppose it says something like "No bootable device found? Then you know that it's not related to what happens to be on the hard disk.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Checkout
by Willy / June 10, 2013 11:30 AM PDT

I certainly hope you have "genuine restore discs" and/or those created when the system was new. I see no details of what your PC model you have and whatever your you have. Why not try using KILLDISK or DBAN disk wiper which will remove all on that HD or partition, usually "C". Once that is done retry your OS reload.

I jope you don't have any UEFI bios issue, which can create havoc until you rest to get beyond the bios hang-up. Google for items on UEFI.

What does your PC maker offer if any website support the details in recovery/restore of the OS?

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Let me share.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2013 3:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Checkout

I was all legit on all fronts and it failed big time. My thoughts on this is the race to lock down the PC has resulted in handcuffs all around.
Bob

Collapse -
That and cloud usage will lock it up entirely
by Willy / June 10, 2013 7:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Let me share.

Since, I don't always get my hands on the newest laptops, I haven't gotten the overall gest of what about to be the norm. Yeah, i feel the pain after this or that, but some laptops totally seem to work against getting fixed and I exclude anything "tablet". I quite wonder if there is a magic vendor service disc that can resolve easily what needs to be done.

ie: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/faq/FAQ00000226/394/NP-QX411-W01US

Samsung method of creating a backup, which in turn are the recovery/restore of that backup. Doing this is very much like an "image copy" and thus returns what it had backed-up on that date. Since, you didn't provide details of your laptop/netbook just what is being worked on. -----Willy Shocked

Collapse -
The wheels are turning behind the scenes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2013 1:30 AM PDT

The issue is back to the maker and they know about it and for now they are having folk ship it back for re-imaging. I have another solution on hand if called for. I want to give the maker a chance to solve it.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
any updated info?? thank you!
by SIckofChromium2 / March 9, 2016 8:37 AM PST

I've searched and searched all over for an answer. My hubby use to work on and fix computers. He sadly passed away. So I'm tempted to take it to a professional, just because of all the warnings of important documents and such, also being deleted when you get rid of all remnants of this awful browser, bug, whatever it is, I feel ALL of your pain in the (****)....so...I'm just snooping around to see if there has been any success at all uninstalling this without the help of an outsider? I took it off the on all the regulater places in the computer too.....somehow it re-installed again, but now I can't find it hiding in ANYWHERE. Not in programs not under ANY FILES! NO WHERE. Sad boo!

Collapse -
The topic is how to remove Chromium OS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 9, 2016 9:22 AM PST

Here's the deal. You don't uninstall or remove an OS. You install the OS you want and that will replace the OS that is installed.

If you only want to uninstall the Chrome Browser, that is basic Windows PC use. You head to the usual control panel and uninstall it. Done.

Collapse -
Answer
CHANGE IT TO LINUX FIRST
by ravenisc27 / January 27, 2017 10:56 AM PST

if you are having problems you may find it easier to convert to linux then convert linux to windows i hope this helps

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.