TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Help me fix my Kenwood Audio Receiver!

I have a Kenwood VR-6050 Audio Receiver. It's a 5.1 system but I'm just running Right Left Center and Sub JBL speakers. It is randomly trying to go out on me and I want to know how to fix it. Today it is working like normal. Yesterday and two weeks ago it was randomly popping and putting out high pitched squeals! We're talking super loud dog-pitches! It also randomly goes quiet but will come back it I switch input mode and come back to the one I want. It's very confusing to me since it will act normal the next day. I want to figure out how to fix it before it goes out all together. Is this something easy that I can fix myself with radio shack parts? If not can someone at least tell me what to tell my local repair shop? Or is it the kind of expensive fix that I should just get a new receiver instead of fixing? My local shop wants $75 just to diagnose so I'm trying you guru's first! Thanks in advance for any assistance. Jill in NorCal

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help me fix my Kenwood Audio Receiver!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help me fix my Kenwood Audio Receiver!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IT MAY BE CHEAPER TO REPLACE

In reply to: Help me fix my Kenwood Audio Receiver!

fact is with parts it may cost you lets say around $150 for repair you can buy a great 7.1. amp for around $250 with new amp you will also have optical audio inputs and d.t.s. sound good luck stewee

Collapse -
STRANGE AMP

I just got the specs for your kenwood and there is no optical audio input just stereo left and right sounds crazy to me I also found several prices of $99.00Optical audio is a must for 7.1 sound hoking up your cable or satellite and d.v.d. player using optical audio is the only way to go I also noted that kenwood is a 5.1. receiver all newer amps are 7.1

Collapse -
Optical

In reply to: STRANGE AMP

Mine does have an optical on the back because that's where I have my PS3 sound going into. Which 7.1 receiver were you thinking would be good? I don't really have more than $300 right now to drop. I've heard Denon is awesome but this Kenwood lasted a good long time. I'll probably want to buy it at Best Buy since I'm always getting their 10% off coupons. Thanks!

Collapse -
MR JELLO HA HA

In reply to: Optical

Yes Dennon makes a sweet amp I own the 3805 The advantage of owning a denon is they have a great resale value, I had an older Denonm 2910 d.v.d. player Sold it on e.bay for $200.00 also picture quality using standard d.v.d. movies looked better than my new Sony blue ray playerThe only drawback is the owners manual looks like a phone book I had mine set up by the dealer Denon has a auto set up that balances and e.q your speaker system using a microphoneIts up to Kenwood makes a great amp post back and let me know how every thing works oput for you steweeeeeeeeeeee

Collapse -
Yeah, $75 to take a look & probable results are that the

good receiver now needs replaced. I wish you well with a repairman if you go that way. I really do believe some repairmen are very much better than others, but we are usually at a loss to know which is which.

You might to go a high quality A/V place in your area which does not to repairs. I have brought this up with one of those good ones here in Albuquerque & the owner there had definite opinions of who he thought the best repairman in town is. Info like that might be valuable indeed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.