HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Help me find these 2 settings again please

by lhutchsn / December 9, 2004 2:12 AM PST

I have seen both these settings and want to get back to them, but don't know where: the first check is to disable an automatic scan disc function after "interrupting: the computer, and the second is to
"open each new window in a separate window" (close to that at least). Where are they?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help me find these 2 settings again please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help me find these 2 settings again please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Help me find these 2 settings again please
by Kees Bakker / December 9, 2004 3:06 AM PST

Disabling autoscan: support.microsoft.com/?kbid=118579

New window: please tell what program you mean. My Computer, Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer?

Kees

Collapse -
by lhutchsn / December 9, 2004 3:52 AM PST

I don't know what program. I know I was just exploring different places where you could check boxes - long lists of things to turn on or off - and one of the choices was that every time you opened a new it window would be separate instead of replacing the previously open one - that way you could have several open at one time. But I don't know where I saw it.

Collapse -
by lhutchsn / December 9, 2004 4:07 AM PST

Also - I did go to the microsoft link suggested but there is nothing in my Msdos.sys file to work with like it explains. I think I found that option to disable autoscan in a checklist somewhere also.

Collapse -
by Bob__B / December 9, 2004 4:46 AM PST

the first check is to disable an automatic scan disc function after "interrupting

Let me take a guess.

start>run>msconfig>advanced
put a tick in disable scandisk after bad shutdown.

second is to
"open each new window in a separate window

With IE open.
tools>int opts>advanced>browsing.
scroll down to reuse windows for launching shortcuts.

Collapse -
by lhutchsn / December 9, 2004 6:35 AM PST

Bob - definitely right on the disabling autoscan - but not the windows option. I don't know where I found that one - I thought it was in that section too but it's not. The check box pretty much talks about every window will be a new window. Many thanks so far!!

Collapse -
by Bob__B / December 9, 2004 7:49 AM PST

Another guess.

Right click a blank area of the task bar and play with the tile/cascade options.

See if that will get what you want.

Collapse -
by lhutchsn / December 9, 2004 12:25 PM PST

Nope, not the right place yet. It can be such a puzzle, and I really do appreciate your helping me try to find where that was.

Collapse -
by Bob__B / December 9, 2004 7:40 PM PST

Another guess.

start>settings>folder opts>general>custom>settings

If that does not work could you give an example of what your trying to do.

Collapse -
Re: Help me find these 2 settings again please - done
by lhutchsn / December 9, 2004 10:21 PM PST

I think that was the place. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / December 9, 2004 6:43 AM PST

Bob,

I'm sure the msconfig-checkbox configures msdos.sys. But I'm such an old time user that I forget the msconfig-options and prefer editing msdos.sys. Anyway, you're fully right.

There is, or has been, a same/separate windows in My Computer also. http://www.snc.edu/compserv/handouts/usingw95.htm notes 'Use the View menu to control how the files and folders appear in the window. You can display a single window that shows the contents of the current folder, or you can open each folder in a separate window. To change from one option to the other, select Options from the View menu, then click on the Folder tab.'
But I can't find it on my Windows 95 computer. There's only a View>Folder Options, but that doesn't contain this option. Maybe this came with IE5 (instead of the original IE4)?

Regards,

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.