General discussion

Help me find a netbook!

Uses: I only would be using for internet such as facebook and online shopping. I also have homework videos for my online class I would be watching.

I would like something with a bright, clear screen if possible.

I need something really lightweight.

Would like something 2gb if possible or upgradeable to 2gb. (Would need advice on which memory to put in it). My regular laptop is old and 1gb so I feel like I am cheating myself not getting a 2gb. I know that the 2gb are pretty expensive; seems like it might be a better deal to diy.

I'm really not too familiar with these kinds of things and it's getting pretty overwhelming! There are so many to choose from. Any advice would be appreciated!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Help me find a netbook!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help me find a netbook!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
All fine until you wrote VIDEOS.
- Collapse -
Video works great on the netbook I have used for two years

I have a Samsung NC10 that I have used constantly for two years. Works great with VIDEOS, which make the many flights I have to travel on much more tolerable. The key is to upgrade the memory from the typical one G to 2 G which you can purchase when you order your netbook (And Amazon.com is the place to shop near as I can tell.) This Samsung has a matte screen,and also Bluetooth, which allows use of a bluetooth mouse without using a USB port for that. I am just beginning to use an ASUS with a 13 hour battery and an Atom N475 processor and Windows 7, and it is faster than my Samsung NC10; also has a matte screen. Many netbooks (i.e. all Acers, and HPOs as near as I can tell) have gloss screens, which reflect everything and are of no use in daylight. I recommend a matte screen, as this ASUS has. Hey, I use the Samsung on a daily basis, and carry it everywhere. It has been a dependable companion, but this ASUS may be even better. Have also purchased and distributed netbooks to many of my staff and they all love them. Highly portable and convenient.

- Collapse -
Great unit.

But I find most will not pay for those better models. Thanks for the note but the usual 250 buck netbook doesn't fair so well at full screen play.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info