Phones forum

General discussion

Help me evaluate and choose a PDA/SmartPhone.

Hi CNET,

I'm contemplating a purchase amongst the following phones
A). Sony Ericsson P1i
B). Nokia E71
C). HTC P4550 - Kaiser
D). Any PDA Smart phone - which meets the below requirement

I know the list is long, but then, what the heck.. every one looks to buy a phone which is best in class and value for money spent. So all ye

experts, help me evaluate and choose. Thanx in advance..

My perspective on requirement criteria
----------------------------------------
1. QWERTY - typing friendly (easy to type keys, faster response)

2. Internal Memory (the more the better)

3. Processor Speeds (drives agility and overall performance)

4. Monoblock is preferred (screen and keyboard on the same side) - but even a easy to access QWERTY will do. Screen size and Display resolution

- who is better?

5. Size and weight - the lesser, the better..

6. Operating System - Important - who's faster, user friendly and more "stable" - Symbian OS 9.2, S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1 or Windows

Mobile 6.0+

7. Call Logs - who stores more detail, save to address book, duplicate checks, Any key answer, Call waiting, call hold, call divert, Call

timer,Automatic redial, Call switching, Conference call support,Speed dialing

8. Address Book - ease of maintenance (easy add, multiple address select for copy/move/delete), syncing, extra fields, contacts with images,

ringtone and overall user friendliness, search by name, number or both, Display options - Name, Number, Both

9. SMS/E-Mail - flexibility to store older messages on memory card; archive to PC; Predictive text inputs, spell check, special character

support and quick access,dictionary support, save as draft, save sent message (Y/N); save to folder (mem card); templates and voice type

support. Mutiple message selection for delete/move/copy; Multiple recipient selection for sending sms; show name and number when selecting

recipient, or reading sender details.

10. Maintainability - Tools to manage internal memory and card content; ability to search files and text content; delete unwanted stuff; clear

cache easily

11. Memory card - how much does the device support without response issues and hanging

12. Power of the speaker and clarity of the speakerphone output and voice input (general call quality - in all modes - normal, handsfree

(bluetooth) and speakerphone). Voice Dial - thru bluetooth or handset.

13. FM Radio / Music Player - a must have.. (this is pretty basic for a phone with such capability)

14. Good camera with flash support(Quality pics Indoor and Outdoor)

15. Video Recording (Good Quality.. ) though its not "very" important

16. Connectivity - First the basics Bluetooth, Infrared ....and then the exotic works...

17. Back up and restore, sync features - support of good desktop software for mobile device management

18. Anti - virus support - in these days of bluetooth connectivity

19. Internet Browsing - Page content display capabilities and speed over GPRS; supported markup langs; scripting and protocols - who's better?

20. Office Apps + Utils (Organizers, Alarms,compression, adobe etc..); Desktop wallpaper + Screensaver

21. Important - power management - battery quality and life; charging time; talk time; standby time and quick access keys - volume =/-, mute,

speakerphone and Menu/home; Roaming support - multiple date and time displays; Profile Options (Silent, Vibrate. Loud, Meeting etc..)

22. Touch screen + stylus preferred; but no big fuss - as long as i can operate efficiently

23. Email integration - Enterprise activation - Blackberry Connect (optional); GPS In Built (not a must have)

24. Task switching - check addresses, type sms, use the calculator - while on a call. Invoke the calc, address book details in the middle of an

sms etc ..

25. Who is physically more sturdier amongst the phones? Equipped with protective casing options? Drop it and it survives...

Thanks for taking time off and going through this fussy requirement list . On a serious

note, I intend to make a thoroughly researched buy, hence, would appreciate a detailed response and a clear verdict/opinion.

Thx & Rgds,
Kiran Bajaj.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help me evaluate and choose a PDA/SmartPhone.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help me evaluate and choose a PDA/SmartPhone.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.