Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Help me decide, Xbox360 or PC

by Urfriendlynhoodflyinas / March 21, 2009 6:51 AM PDT

I have problems with deciding what to buy. I will play mostly games like farcry2, fallout 3, crysis and such. the 360 is cheap (compared to reliable PC) and i will never worry about games not being able to run on it. The PC will cost much more but then I will have the best controls with the mouse and keyboard and I will not have problems in the future when it's cheaper to upgrade the pc instead of buying a new console. Do you people know anything that I don't know that will help me decide?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help me decide, Xbox360 or PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help me decide, Xbox360 or PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tough one
by Jimmy Greystone / March 21, 2009 1:59 PM PDT

That's a tough one. On the one hand, consoles are considerably cheaper. One system every 3-5 years, all games are guaranteed to work on it that carry the console logo. Downside is that consoles suck for FPS games. Great for almost every other kind, except maybe RTS.

On the PC side, you'll be in a perpetual, and expensive, upgrade cycle. RAM, video card, processor, power supply, even hard drive... You'll be forever upgrading these things, and it will start to add up pretty quickly. The up side is that you can't beat the PC for FPS games. Some people do get quite good with console controllers however, so...

I will say that the PS3 will let you connect a keyboard and mouse to use in game, if the game supports it. The 360 won't, but if you can get the games you want on the PS3 that might be an option to think about.

If it were me, I'd go with the console, but then I got tired of FPS games a long time ago. They're all pretty much the same when you get down to it. Run around cramped narrow hallways, shoot lots of bad guys, pick up ammo and health as you go, the end. Not a lot of actual skill required, just good reflexes. That's why I moved to RPGs. You have everything from gut wrenching story tellers like the Final Fantasy series... Final Fantasy X's ending is a real tear jerker, though Final Fantasy 8 had a few moments. There's the childish humor of Disgaea that just somehow works. And you also have games like the Shin Megami Tensi: Persona series that kind of straddle both sub-genres. A bit more strategic than FFX, but not as tedious as Disgaea. You also have some fun platformer type games such as the Jak and Daxter and Prince of Persia trilogies. You could branch out into different game genres with a console, instead of limiting yourself to more of the same with FPS games.

Collapse -
Xbox ( or PS3)
by not2worried / March 23, 2009 6:03 AM PDT

After years of upgrading pc to play the news games at top level.
I went to a 360...
And am happy I did.
Games on a PC are Cheaper.. but you can trade/sell Video Games to get some of your money back...
PC small screen... but you will be siting closer.
Pc add-ons are generally free.. and more of them...
Sitting in an easy chair playing a game on a 42-50" Tv is a pleasure.
If you never have had a Xbox or Ps3... I think it worth a shot.
I guess last is the TV... If you don't have a HD...
you won't be happy with a 360.
GL

Collapse -
consoles vs PC
by bearvp / March 23, 2009 6:05 AM PDT

I used to be a big PC gamer but the cycle of upgrading the various PC hardware to keep up with the minimum spec requirements got so tiring and frankly expensive (although I wouldn't have trouble affording it these days). I switched to console gaming exclusively because I never have to worry about upgrading hardware or downloading drivers and praying that all the hardware and software will play nice together. Also, consoles are obviously cheaper than gaming PCs. You could build your own gaming PC and keep costs down, but that takes time and will cost more than the 360.

Alot of people will say FPS games are better on the PC and it is all just about personal preference. Once you get used to using a controller for those types of games then you won't have any control problems. Now, I think using the 360's controller for FPS games is superior to the mouse+keyboard because the triggers to fire feel more natural than just clicking a mouse button.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?