The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Help me decide on a MacBook.

The only difference I see between the 13" black and white MacBooks is 80gb or 120gb hard drive. I can upgrade the 80gb to 120gb for $150. Is black worth $50 extra dollars or am I missing something?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help me decide on a MacBook.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help me decide on a MacBook.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
maybe

In reply to: Help me decide on a MacBook.

what is the hard drive RPM?

-nick Schmidt

Collapse -
(NT) They're both 5400rpm

In reply to: maybe

Collapse -
(NT) hmm

In reply to: They're both 5400rpm

Collapse -
Is bootcamp a stable beta?

In reply to: maybe

I want to use it for my XP stuff, but I'm not sure about it's reliability.

Collapse -
yea

In reply to: Is bootcamp a stable beta?

i'm not sure what to tell you.. black is cool.. that is about it.. LOL

bootcamp.. is kosher so you should be ok to dual it up.. I'm planning on doing that as well..

Collapse -
Black is Cool

In reply to: yea

I guess I'll go with the black since I'm a PC guy and I'm not ready to own a white notebook.

Collapse -
MacBook (Which One)

Have you seen the MacBook in person? I have... and I'm not sure if I like how the keyboard is. The keys are raised and seperated from each other, unlike your typical keyboards on laptops which are flushed and together such as the keyboard on the MacBook Pro.

If you do get an Apple computer though, I'd hold out for January-February time frame so you can get one w/ the new Operating System (Leopard) and perhaps a newer Intel processor (since Intel Quads were released.)

Also... the day after Thanksgiving.. Apple has pretty good sells on it's products. The only day of the year I believe that apple has a discount or sell.

Collapse -
Black Friday Sale

In reply to: MacBook (Which One)

I thought Apple only had accessories for sale during Black friday. If the sale applies to the macbooks and the macbook pros, I'm totally waiting in line at 5am.

Collapse -
Leopard in January?

In reply to: MacBook (Which One)

I thought Leopard was due in the summer of 2007. I don't see any features listed in Leopard that I can't do without. New processors usually mean more $$$. I never buy the latest and greatest.

Collapse -
Leopard in "Spring '07"

In reply to: Leopard in January?

First:

Leopard won't be released until "Spring '07" as noted by Steve Jobs during WWDC in August of this year. That is unless he's underpromising with the intention of over delivering.

Second:

Yes Intel just released it's first quad core processor. However, there is a performance hit in the fact that there is overhead involved in separating tasks to four cores. Unless the software is multithreaded in design, and is designed to actually use all four cores, you'll most likely see a performance hit, rather than a boost. I think either Anandtech or Bit-tech has a great article on this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but currently Apple's iLife suite is designed to use both cores of the duo chips, however it's not suited for 4 core processors. You can also assume that most third party software is not written for multi-cores just yet either, not even for the dual core procs.

Summary: Buy the macbook when you want, waiting a month or two probably won't get you anything that you can't get now. Also, I came from the PC world where everything is black. The white stands out which is one reason why I went that route with the first edition Macbook. I also specc'd it out the same as the black (larger HD) and upped the RAM to 2GB.

Collapse -
It's simple enough.

In reply to: Leopard in "Spring '07"

Get the white one if you want to stand out in the PC crowd, get the black one if you want to stand out in the Mac crowd. Personally, I'd go for the white one just because it looks so damn snazzy.

Collapse -
RE: Which MacBook (color) + Black Friday Sales

Well, everyone has brought an aesthetic (sp?) point. I had a friend who had a white iBook (equivalent to the MacBook) and I was always afraid of somehow getting it dirty. I can't remember if his skin residue from long period of ownership usage eventually turned the white to a darker shade where your hands would rest on the keyboard, but I think in this sense... the black MacBook would be ideal. It's sleek, it's thin, and black is the new white.

PS - I'm almost 100% certain that all Apple products including computers would be on sale on Black Friday. If I'm wrong, I apologize. Sad

Collapse -
Black or White Macbook?

In reply to: RE: Which MacBook (color) + Black Friday Sales

How has the White Macbook held up as far as keeping clean and any handprints where the wrists rest?

I noticed that the Black version doesn't have a glossy coat and had grease marks the cover and the aforementioned wrist area. I'm not sure if the previous person had very greasy hands, or if the grease is more noticeable on the matte black finish.

Collapse -
Personally, I'm Going for the Black One

In reply to: Black or White Macbook?

When I buy my Macbook, I need to time my purchase perfectly. I want to get it as soon as leaopard is released. However, I need to get it before that strange under-laptop disc drive comes out, part of the reason i'm buying a macbook is the cool slot loader, SOOOOO much cooler than a tray.

What I think that comes to is a mid-keynote purchase, so lets see how that goes for me!!

Collapse -
It's still clean.

In reply to: Black or White Macbook?

I don't have any noticeable discoloration, however I wash my hands constantly. I do have a problem with fingerprints on the glossy finish though.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.