General discussion

Help me choose between these 4 please

We are looking for a camera that will best suit our families needs. Here is what we are looking for:

-Compact/Ultra-compact in size (My wife wants to carry it in her purse)
-At least a 10x optical zoom
-Above 9 megapixels
-Easy to use (we are not photographers, Auto is what we keep the camera on generally)
-Video capability is preferred
-Super fast (we want the response and time between shots to be very fast)

I have done a little research and found 4 cameras that may fit these specifications. They are:

-Canon Powershot SX210 IS
-Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5V
-Nikon Coolpix S8000
-Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7

If anyone has used these cameras and loves/hates them could you please post and let me know. Even if you have not used them I would still like to hear your opinions on which you think is best and why. I am also open to suggestions of other cameras that I do not have listed here that I may have missed. Thank you in advance!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Help me choose between these 4 please
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help me choose between these 4 please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Added note

I also found the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H55 as one of the options as well...

- Collapse -
4 Cameras

Here is a comparison of specifications:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_sx210is%2Cnikon_cps8000%2Cpanasonic_dmczs7%2Csony_dschx5&show=all

The new Sony HX5 should be the best for your purpose.
It uses a CMOS sensor assembly which give you plenty of speed.
It's burst mode will let you take 10 pictures in less than a second.
I have not seen a review of the camera yet, but shot to shot time should be about 1 second (without flash). Add about another second for about 2 seconds shot to shot (with flash).

It also has some interesting features such as:
High Definition video
Sweep Panorama
GPS (global positioning)

- Collapse -
Thank you

I appreciate your advice on this matter. That was actually the camera that I was thinking about buying the most out of all of them. Too bad they dont offer it in purple...my wife picks cameras based on the color, but I have to try to keep the functionality in mind. She really wanted the Canon SX210 IS because they have it in purple, but I would rather sacrifice the color of the camera for speed and functionality. Again, thank you for your input. I am not too big on camera lingo. We do family things and would just like to have some pictures to remember them, but when the camera is too big and slow to serve our purpose, it just gets left at home anyways.

CNET Forums