Samsung forum

General discussion

help me be happy

by bw1128 / January 17, 2010 4:14 AM PST

i just bought the pn50b860 to go in the bedroom but am unhappy with the picture. i have been comparing it to my ln52a750 that i have in the living room, it is professionally calibrated. i bought the new plasma thinking it would be just as good if not better, but it is very glitchy, especially with sports.

what would you recommend i do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help me be happy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help me be happy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
?
by bw1128 / January 19, 2010 8:44 AM PST
In reply to: help me be happy

what can i do? im afraid im going to have to take it back. im just very unhappy with the picture. what would you do?

Collapse -
help me be happy
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 19, 2010 9:31 AM PST

bw1128,

Is it connected to an HD source? Can you explain what you like about the LCD and dislike about the plasma? What do you mean by "glitchy"?

--HDTech

Collapse -
more info
by bw1128 / January 19, 2010 9:58 AM PST

yes it is hooked up to uverse hd reciever. i have a ln52a750 lcd thats calibrated in the living room that i think is amazing. but on this plasma i was thinking it would be atleast similar if not better. but i think the picture looks ok but not great, especially while watching sports its really glitchy or pixelated. what can i do to get it better? att hooked it up with a1.3 hdmi cable also.

Collapse -
more info
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 24, 2010 12:52 PM PST
In reply to: more info

bw1128,

If it's happening mostly with television shows on certain channels, it's likely that the particular channels are being broadcast with a high compression (which is determined by the broadcasters). The higher the compression, the better the chance of some pixelation occurring in fast motion.

I think with the right settings, it could look just as good. How much time have you spent calibrating the plasma?

--HDTech

Collapse -
time calibrating
by bw1128 / January 28, 2010 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: more info

as far as time calibrating the plasma, i have only used the recommendations off tweettv.com and here, like twice. and i have about 40 hours on it, if that. i have at&t uverse in my house, so it should be a good reception.

what else could it be? i want to watch my sports! i did end up paying to get it calibrated, but need to wait after 200 hours to do so.

Collapse -
time calibrating
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 28, 2010 2:43 PM PST
In reply to: time calibrating

bw1128,

You might check to see if the output resolution is 720p or higher. Some HD boxes allow you to adjust the resolution, which can improve the picture. Have you checked to see if there are settings in the box that maybe the cable/sat provider can walk you through?

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.