Computer Help forum

General discussion

Help me!!!

by Stella31 / September 20, 2004 5:13 PM PDT

When I email in reply what does the Cc: and the Bcc: mean??? Also when I highlight something to copy I press control and a then i highlight cop that brings highlighted stuff to side of computer screen. How do I move it from there to a nother area in computer? I dont know how to paste? HELP!!!!!Stella 31 e

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help me!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help me!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Help me!!!
by Kees Bakker / September 20, 2004 5:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Help me!!!

Stella,

CC = carbon copy = people who get your mail (apart from the addressee, of course). You can ask people older than 40 years what a sheet of carbon was!

BCC = blind carbon copy = people who get your mail also, but other people don't know (other people can see the cc's, but not the bcc's).

To copy:
First make a selection with keyboard or mouse. The highlighted parts is copied. Control-A is a shortcut for copying the whole document.
Then copy the selection to the clipboard: Edit>Copy from the menu or control-C. You can't see that it's on the clipboard, but it still is there!
Then go to the place (mail, document) where you want the copy, and choose Edit>Paste or control-V. And, whoops, it's there.

How about going to the public library or a book shop and reading some simple books on working with Windows and mailing/internetting? You'll be surprised what's possible.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: my duplicate response
by ChuckT / September 21, 2004 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Help me!!!

I know it looks like I was being redundant Kees, but when I was responding to Stella there were no other responses at the time. I would not have bothered to respond if I had seen your response.

I am a S-L-O-W finger-pokin' typist, so it takes a while before I can keystroke in a response. That, plus I generally run my text through a spell-checker before I actually post. All that takes time, and in that time you evidently posted already.

Just to let you know, that I wasn't trying to "one up" you or anything. It was just a time-warp thing.

Collapse -
Re: my duplicate response
by Kees Bakker / September 21, 2004 5:19 AM PDT

ChuckT,

That happens to me too occasionally. Anyway, yours is longer and much clearer (if only because of being written by a native speaker). No need for an excuse at all.

Our answer on the cc/bcc and copy/paste was as expected, I think. Anyone should have written about the same. But I find it remarkable that we both advise some study from one of the many 'introduction to windows'-type books. For computer-things I always find a good book very useful as an introduction. Only if you've mastered the basics the programs help and Internet serve as resources for details, things you forgot, ideas and example coding if you're a programmer. Good basic online help is difficult to find for a lot of subjects.

And don't forget: the slower you type, the more Stella will appreciate your elaborate answer. Let's wait for the usual (?) 'thank you' post to see so.

Kees

Collapse -
by ChuckT / September 20, 2004 5:51 PM PDT

Note: Stella it is more useful to put in a more meaningful Subject line rather than "Help me!!!"
If you want help, then help us know what sort of help you need in the Subject line.

Anyway...
CC = Carbon Copy, an archaic term, for historical reasons (there is no "carbon"), it is the field used to enter additional people's email names you also want included into the sending of the message. They are not necessarily the main people to get the message, but just copied in.

BCC = Blind Carbon Copy. The same sort of idea as the CC field, HOWEVER any names entered into this field will NOT appear in the actual receipt of the email. This is useful to discreetly include more people into the thread of the message, without anyone else getting the names (real or email) of the people in this field.
--------------------------------------
To cut or copy then paste:
1) Select the text or items(s) you want to cut or copy, then while they are highlighted,
2) hold down the "Ctrl" key (that is the Control key, and typically, by itself, it doesn't do anything. It is the next key that you press while holding down the Ctrl key, that tells the computer to do something)
3, to Copy) press C
or
3, to Cut) press X
4) You can release the keys

Copy does not harm the selected text (or whatever) you had highlighted.
Cut removes what you had selected.

In either case, that which you either copied or cut is now being "held" (copied) in a hidden buffer, a holding place inside the operating system. It will remain there until you either shut down, or reset, your computer or until you overwrite that buffer with another copy or cut.

Then, finally...
5) You go to the point you want to paste that buffer data, and hold down Ctrl and press V

You can let go of those keys now.
By the way, you can go to another place and do another Ctrl-V again and see a 2nd, or a 3rd, or a 4th copy placed, again and again.

Have fun, pick up a book, something like a beginners guide to Windows. Learn.

Collapse -
by CburgRose / October 16, 2004 8:29 AM PDT

Copying and pasting is simple.
1. Highlight the area you want to copy
2. Click on Edit
3. Click on Copy
4. Go to where you want to paste the material
5. Go back to Edit
6. Click on Paste

That's all there is to it.

Collapse -
by billzhills / October 17, 2004 2:39 AM PDT

Stella,

I won't add to the Copy/Past as it has been well covered.

For books I have found the PC for Dummys well worth the investement.

If you have room set up your system for dual monitors. All applications have help files, with two monitors you can have the help file on one monitor and the application on the other. I did this when I started studing Computer Repair. Today I use 3 monitors and I can't imagine life without them.

Hope this helps

Bill

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.